Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm a bigger guy. Wide shoulders and such. I have a bit of an issue with my right hand. My hand starts to tingle and go numb after about 20-30 minutes of riding my 1300. When I look at it, is seems to me that the ends of the handlebars are sort of angled too far back. I think they put my wrist at a weird angle. Seems they should be straighter from left to right. I have other folks sit on my bike and their wrists aren't at quite the same angle as mine because they are skinnier than me. Besides the obvious, get a new bike or new handlebars (neither of which am I ready to do yet) is there anything I can do to help alleviate this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
656 Posts
Can you take a picture (or find one online) of where you are talking about?

If it is the handlebar angle and you have an R/S/T model, you can rotate the handle bar at the riser (there are 4 caps you slide out and loosen the bolts). After you rotate it, you can rotate the clutch/brake levers to get the angle that feels best for you.

But, I might be mixing up what you are talking about.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll see if I can get a picture in a bit. Rotating UP might help a bit. I hadn't considered that possibility. I had thought about new taller handlebars, but don't want to have to rewire everything. What I am referring to is... Put your arms out like you are going to grab your handlebars. Now... move your hands and inch or so tot the center and keeping your wrists level, bend them outwards pretty much as far as they will go. Now rotate right hand up. That is how I have to grip it to ride. Doing this means only my last three fingers really touch the grip much. The pad of my right hand doesn't hardly touch the grip either. That means I have to squeeze tighter to hold it and between the death grip and the weird angle, stuff goes numb.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'll see if I can get a picture in a bit. Rotating UP might help a bit. I hadn't considered that possibility. I had thought about new taller handlebars, but don't want to have to rewire everything. What I am referring to is... Put your arms out like you are going to grab your handlebars. Now... move your hands and inch or so tot the center and keeping your wrists level, bend them outwards pretty much as far as they will go. Now rotate right hand up. That is how I have to grip it to ride. Doing this means only my last three fingers really touch the grip much. The pad of my right hand doesn't hardly touch the grip either. That means I have to squeeze tighter to hold it and between the death grip and the weird angle, stuff goes numb.
I think I understand it. Your wrists are bent outwards. so you hands are at a weird angle like this \ / instead of | |. I think if you rotate the handle bar upwards it will fix your issue. Be sure to rotate the levers to your liking after.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,209 Posts
Pull back risers! You can easily get away with 4 inch risers without rewiring

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahhh... I think I got it now. Risers are spacers that go where the handlebar mounts. Okay... that raises them up and basically like JPT suggested which will change the angle of my wrist slightly. Worth a shot to rotate the bar and then maybe buy some risers. Been wanting to raise them up anyway since I have a tall torso and feel like I'm riding hunched over. I'll see about rotating them forward tomorrow and then test ride.

Is there a torque rating to reset them at or just a couple of ugga-duggas?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I ended up needing pull back risers once I went to an Ultimate Big Boy seat. When you get pull back risers, if you have an R/S/T, be careful which risers you go with as they can make contact with your speedo housing. I have this one. It requires bolts (home depot), and drilling out the upper triple tree. The drilling takes like 2 seconds as you are only slightly opening up the hole more.

For the clamps (even stock) I tightened the bottom bolts first then tightened the upper bolts (there may be a gap on the riser caps), this puts the gap on the headlight side. I did not use any torque ratings.

Pull back risers I have. I also rotated the handlebars upwards some and rotated the levers.

The 3.5" version of this will make contact with your speedo housing. this 4.5" is perfect:

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,209 Posts
You can use Harley risers. I believe they take a 1/2"(.500) bolt and the VTX takes 12mm(.472) which is is why you have to drill it out a smidge.

·
Faith Fears Not
84 Posts
I put 4" pull back risers on my 1300R and it was much more comfortable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey everyone,

I'm a bigger guy. Wide shoulders and such. I have a bit of an issue with my right hand. My hand starts to tingle and go numb after about 20-30 minutes of riding my 1300. When I look at it, is seems to me that the ends of the handlebars are sort of angled too far back. I think they put my wrist at a weird angle. Seems they should be straighter from left to right. I have other folks sit on my bike and their wrists aren't at quite the same angle as mine because they are skinnier than me. Besides the obvious, get a new bike or new handlebars (neither of which am I ready to do yet) is there anything I can do to help alleviate this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
I had the same problem about 9 years ago but my problem was not related to the angle of the handle bars, I was diagnosed with corporal tunnel syndrome. I had surgery on both hands and now everything is just fine. The physician that operated on me was a die hard rider. I was experiencing all the symptoms that you have described to a tee. At least seek the advice a physician, this is nothing to play with while riding your motorcycle.

·
Faith Fears Not
84 Posts
I had the same problem about 9 years ago but my problem was not related to the angle of the handle bars, I was diagnosed with corporal tunnel syndrome. I had surgery on both hands and now everything is just fine. The physician that operated on me was a die hard rider. I was experiencing all the symptoms that you have described to a tee. At least seek the advice a physician, this is nothing to play with while riding your motorcycle.
I had Carpal tunnel syndrome too. Just search for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome exercises. If it's not too bad yet you can exercise your way out of it. I also am ambidextrous so I worked left handed for about six months too and it helped get rid of the inflammation. Carpal tunnel syndrome surgery is to be and can avoided mostly IMHO. I know several that had surgery and are no better off afterwards. the exercises are stretches.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts