Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Just got my bike last week. Man it is awsome. I am really torn between these 2 pipes. Which ones are louder? I like the looks of the 2in1 Sideburner but the 3" Big straights seem to sound better. This has been my findings based on the web clips. Anyone have pros or cons on either?

Thanks for the help!
Cade
PS I have given up on the National Cycles Peacemaker. I really wanted to have the option to go in to quiet mode but they have not produced a sound clip with the pipes while the engine is being reved or the bike being driven in loud mode.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
I have had both. THe HK 3" BIGs are louder, but not as good a soend. The Sideburners are loud but in a different tone which sounds deeper and throater and don't resinate. The 3" BIGS are LOUD and I could hear them blocks away going in any direction. At 5 blocks away they are loud and you can hear them at every turn as they change directions. The SBs just soud great but from the left side of he bike they are not so loud since the sound is going away, unless you are next to a solid object then it echos back. I loved the look of hte SBs but once I heard them I sold my 3" BIGs. It was no contest between them for sound. If you like that Hot Rod rumble or BIG Block Chevy sound you will love the SB sound.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I LOVE the HK's!!!! I bought my bike with Cobra Shorts on it already, otherwise these would have been my choice...love the look love the sound.

The side burners, I've never heard them but I really don't care for the 2 in one look.... Just my .02

BUT... It's your bike so it's certainly your choice... Get whatever you like best!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Well, I've never had the big 3's but did recently put on some sideburners, and LOVE them. Pretty much everywhere I go, people ask me about them, and comment on the great sound.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok Thanks everyone. I think I may steer more to the sideburners. Personally i do like the looks a bit better. Is that a heat shield on the SB? But can you still listen to a stereo/Ipod while cruising or would that be out of the question? Would it be safe to say if you are in someone's blind spot they would hear you with the SB with at least a little throttle? Almost swapped some paint earlier this week.:nono:

Thanks for all the help... New rider here ... lol

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,396 Posts
Ok Thanks everyone. I think I may steer more to the sideburners. Personally i do like the looks a bit better. Is that a heat shield on the SB? But can you still listen to a stereo/Ipod while cruising or would that be out of the question? Would it be safe to say if you are in someone's blind spot they would hear you with the SB with at least a little throttle? Almost swapped some paint earlier this week.:nono:

Thanks for all the help... New rider here ... lol
you can still hear your music with sideburners....tho not as clearly as with stockers.....cagers hear you very well!!!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
My brother and I were talking about my sideburners the other day, and he said that he's pretty sure that mine are so loud that I"d probably get a ticket where he lives for breaking the noise ordinance. So, yeah, they will hear you. BTW I know that they're loud, but I don't think that they are too loud at all. IMHO perfect combination of tone and volume.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Guys! Now I have an itch. Gonna go get a drill bit and do a Claton Mod to hold me over till I can get some SB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts