Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2008 VTX 1300R and everyone that I work with is telling me that I made a huge mistake and should of bought a Harley.

Guys are calling my bike a Honda Davidson. Ive been called a wanna be, but I figure that if I was a wanna be, I would of bought a Harley. I bought what I wanted, and dont need to impress anybody by saying "I ride a Harley".

My bike has been called Jap Crap. Actually one of the guys that called my new VTX Jap Crap was talking about the noise that was coming from his Harley Clutch. I first asked him what year his bike was, he said 2006, then said with a puzzled look on my face....how many miles.....he didn't reply because he knew where I was going with it. Regardless that would only be a come back, all the bikes are great.

Any one else find this from their Harley Friends?

·
Senior Moments
517 Posts
Quote: but I figure that if I was a wanna be, I would of bought a Harley. I bought what I wanted

You hit the nail on the head with that one. Those people talking trash about any other bike than a Harley are simply out to impress. Maybe their making up for some "Short comings" somewhere else. To each his own. Ride on brother. :choppersm

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
About 1/2 of the HD parts are made in Japan or Tiwan (sp)
They run Showa shocks, and Honda owns most of it if not all of that Co. The carbs are also Japan.

·
Beast from the East
80 Posts
Funny, every time I am on a good ride on back country roads, I see a Harley broken down. NEVER have I seen a Honda broken down.

·
Large Member
1,216 Posts
I rode my X to work Tuesday and Wednesday and my boss wanted to go out to check it out. I almost lost my job when he said it looks like a harley wanna be. He doesn't even ride.:nope:

·
Beast from the East
80 Posts
It's amazing. Harley has built a name. That's all it is. People who know nothing about motorcycles amaze me with the "branding" that Harley has made out of its name.

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
harley-davidson is great if thats your thing. im not going to stoop to the level of some riders by bashing other makes. harley-davidson had the benefits of great "p.r." and "image" over the years to put the name on a pedestal. to me, if you want a harley...buy one. if you want a honda...buy one. its all in the eyes of the buyer and everyone buys for different reasons. i bought a honda because of the value, price, and cost...not name or image. im not riding to impress others. im riding simply to enjoy the ride...nothing more.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I just bought a 2008 VTX 1300R and everyone that I work with is telling me that I made a huge mistake and should of bought a Harley.

Guys are calling my bike a Honda Davidson. Ive been called a wanna be, but I figure that if I was a wanna be, I would of bought a Harley. I bought what I wanted, and dont need to impress anybody by saying "I ride a Harley".

My bike has been called Jap Crap. Actually one of the guys that called my new VTX Jap Crap was talking about the noise that was coming from his Harley Clutch. I first asked him what year his bike was, he said 2006, then said with a puzzled look on my face....how many miles.....he didn't reply because he knew where I was going with it. Regardless that would only be a come back, all the bikes are great.

Any one else find this from their Harley Friends?
My HD buddies don't say anything about my choice of bike...They have more self-respect than that...

Tell your so-called friends, that as much of your bike was made in The USA as their HD was...The engine cases, the tins, the frames, and assembly I know for a FACT was done in the US...I took a factory tour last summer and witnessed it first hand...

·
AIRBORNE
5,567 Posts
There are good harley riders. Most of the sh!t talkers are just that! Just enjoy the ride. I have harley friends and they don't talk down about my bike, but then again they are friends. Unfortunately there are co-worker that ride Harley. They are the fair weather riders. If it is below 50 they will not ride. I do and always say was it too cold for your Harley or the wan-ta be RIDER. 5 Metric bikes and 2 harley riders. They are out numbered.

One of the harley rides, changed his oil last year. He didn't add oil afterwards. Drove it one day with no oil, he didn't make it to work. He had to replace the engine. 9,000 dollars later. Fixed the bike. Road it to work we poured a quart of oil under it. He took it back to the shop. We did this 3 times and all times he took it back to the shop.

Dumb ass don't take sh!t to us! He would have been happy if he wouldn't have.:patriot:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have yet to have any riders of any sort give me anything but compliments on my X and some of the harley guys have even said it was a good choice because of all of the problems they have had with their harleys. I don't care what you ride because it is all about the ride. The people that I have noticed talk the most crap are the ones that don't even have a bike. Of course I always have to ask them "now what do you ride again?" That is the end of that conversation.

·
Novice Noob
93 Posts
No offense to you, but who cares what anyone says? You'll be riding while they are fixing!

Enjoy :choppersm

·
Registered
33 Posts
The nerve of those guys. It's not Jap Crap the correct term is Jap Scrap. Just kidding.

I've only received compliments from riders of other brands including Harleys.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Sorry guys, but Hondas brake down also.

I see more Honda guys bashing HD than I do HD guys bashing Honda. :beer:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think it is sometimes more of a game, and it's always taken with a laugh. My boss who is a die hard Harley Rider, after his teasing did admit that the VTX is a great bike. But there are still a few. Regardless I am going to be very proud riding my VTX to work on Tuesday morning!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I didn't do 21 years in the US military so some schmuck can tell me what I ought to buy. SCREW THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Registered
745 Posts
i looked at both h-d and the X and after talking to other people they convince me to get the X and a lot of them ride harelys and if i was to get another bike it be another VTX had mine for three years now and had one guy trash talk about mine and after i let him know it was made in the USA and made in the same state we live in he acted half pissed off and walked away :D

1 - 20 of 203 Posts