Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MD CPO 0040 (USN RET)
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too long ago I was caught in some pretty nasty rain on my VTX1300R and wanted to turn on my hazzard lights (flashers) but couldn't figure out how to get both turn signals on at the same time. I have searched through the users manual and can't find anything on the subject. Is it possible to get both turn signals flashing at the same time?

·
Floor Board Scraper
623 Posts
Unfortunately, it is not an item that was available from the factory.
Many people here have added them, by adding a second flasher unit, switch, ect. The wiring for it isn't hard.
You can also get the Kisan (spelling?) self canceling turn signal unit. It has the ability for a 'flasher mode'.

Take a look at these;
http://vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=19007&highlight=hazard+flashers

http://vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=8984&highlight=hazard+flashers

http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=17337&highlight=kissan

·
MD CPO 0040 (USN RET)
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I couldn't find the threads because apparently I need to learn how to spell ... I put two z's in my hazzard .. because it's more hazardous that way I guess. Thanks for the links I'll read them and get some safety gear Honda should have included!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I used Glenn's 4 way flashers. Needed them only once but I installed them for Patriot Guard rides. They work as advertised and installation was a snap!! Self canceling is nice for sure. I'm usually pretty good about my turn signal but hey, automation isn't a bad thing.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I used Glenn's 4 way flashers. Needed them only once but I installed them for Patriot Guard rides. They work as advertised and installation was a snap!! Self canceling is nice for sure. I'm usually pretty good about my turn signal but hey, automation isn't a bad thing.
+1!!!!...Glen took all the guesswork out of it already....Easy plug-n-play setup...:mosh:

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Good mod to have, for when you are disabled.
Riding with your hazard lights on is distracting and dangerous to others. In some states it is illegal to use them unless you are disabled.
If visability is that bad, you should find a safe place to pull over.

·
33,457 Posts
Good mod to have, for when you are disabled.
Riding with your hazard lights on is distracting and dangerous to others. In some states it is illegal to use them unless you are disabled.
If visability is that bad, you should find a safe place to pull over.
I can't count the number of times I've been in bad weather in a semi (usually snow) barely creeping along with the four-ways going, in a group of other traffic....The hazard flashers are for just that....To let others on the road know that you are a hazard, running slower than normal flow of traffic...Keeps 'ya from getting run over from behind...I've never heard of it being illegal to run the four ways while rolling...Most times it's more dangerous to stop alongside the road than to forge ahead, especially in low visibility conditions...

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I can't count the number of times I've been in bad weather in a semi (usually snow) barely creeping along with the four-ways going, in a group of other traffic....The hazard flashers are for just that....To let others on the road know that you are a hazard, running slower than normal flow of traffic...Keeps 'ya from getting run over from behind...I've never heard of it being illegal to run the four ways while rolling...Most times it's more dangerous to stop alongside the road than to forge ahead, especially in low visibility conditions...
I agree with you to some extent Bass, like you said when you are in a snowstorm and everyone is running slower with there flashers on.
It is illegal here in Florida, and it can be distracting and dangerous when cars are running down the interstate at speed and there is someone riding along slower than everyone else with there hazards on, just because it is raining.
http://law.onecle.com/florida/motor-vehicles/316.2397.html

·
33,457 Posts
I agree with you to some extent Bass, like you said when you are in a snowstorm and everyone is running slower with there flashers on.
It is illegal here in Florida, and it can be distracting and dangerous when cars are running down the interstate at speed and there is someone riding along slower than everyone else with there hazards on, just because it is raining.
http://law.onecle.com/florida/motor-vehicles/316.2397.html
But it's alot more dangerous to be rolling down the roadway 20 mph slower than everyone else without the four ways on...That's a wreck waiting to happen...We all know there's lots of blue hairs in Florida that do just that too...Big Cadillac, all you see is a blue-grey perm and knuckles, in no big hurry...I've come close to rear-ending other traffic on the highway like that...It's hard to judge speed like that sometimes...I'd rather see 'em runnig the four-ways....That way I know they're running slow for whatever reason, and can do what I need to be safe getting past them...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts