Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know this had been beaten to death but I wanted to put this out here. I thought about the mod for a month or so, even ordered the switch to get a feel for how it would look, but three things concerned me;
1. The screws sticking out of the bezel. I just didn’t like the look of it.
2. The fact that it’s a plastic bezel so over time would it break?
3. With only 2 screws in it will it flex if it’s pushed on?
Well I was raised that if you don’t have a solution to keep you mouth shut. Well, I have one. I designed this in cad software and cut it on a water jet. It’s made of 304 Stainless so corrosion isn’t going to be an issue.

The tape it merely precautionary, I’m going to use 90 degree insulated connectors.

This allows for all 4 bolt holes on the switch to be used, that makes it more secured and between the bracket and all 4 bolts no flexing should happen.

This fits really good and I have to say the only problem I had was this. I got a little to much off the top side. But I’m going to find a sticker or decal to go around it to clean that up.

The only negative I found was that the fuel cap sets lower now but it still comes off and on without any issues. Personally I like the look but some may not.

So what are y’all thoughts?
Possible changes?
Does anyone want one for there’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did forget to say that I couldn't find lock nuts to fit in the space so i just used some blue lock tite on the nuts holding the ignition to the bracket. and there wasn't a need for flat washers that i could see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Prolly going to sell them to folks for around $20 with the bolts I used with free freight in the states. Pass the word and let me know.

·
Deplorable member
7,385 Posts
Looks really good. Will it work on 13's as well?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks really good. Will it work on 13's as well?
I’m not sure. I don’t have a 1300 bezel to measure and test fit with. If y’all know of someone that has an extra laying around that wouldn’t mind letting me use it I’d make them one for free. Only catch to this is that the test piece may be damaged to the point of not being able to be put back on a bike. Let me know if you have or hear of someone interested.

·
Super Moderator
5,319 Posts
I did this mod on my 1300 and I didn't like the look of the screws either. My solution was to use fast setting J B Weld to anchor the switch to the bezel. I put some JB Weld on the back side on both sides of the hole where the mounting tabs would set with the switch in the correct attitude. I set the switch down into the JB and them goobered more JB on top of the mounting tabs. I installed my switch on 6/12/16 @ 42,110 miles. The switch is still solidly attached today @ 48,508 miles.

20170419_160139.jpg

20170419_160028.jpg

20170419_155543.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,319 Posts
I didn’t, I used a Dremel with an end mill. Kinda free handed it.

I used a 1 7/8" hole saw and it is the perfect size. It is kind of a bastard size since it doesn't fit any of the pipe OD sizes, but I found one at Granger.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Ok, I know this had been beaten to death but I wanted to put this out here. I thought about the mod for a month or so, even ordered the switch to get a feel for how it would look, but three things concerned me;
1. The screws sticking out of the bezel. I just didn’t like the look of it.
2. The fact that it’s a plastic bezel so over time would it break?
3. With only 2 screws in it will it flex if it’s pushed on?
Well I was raised that if you don’t have a solution to keep you mouth shut. Well, I have one. I designed this in cad software and cut it on a water jet. It’s made of 304 Stainless so corrosion isn’t going to be an issue.

The tape it merely precautionary, I’m going to use 90 degree insulated connectors.

This allows for all 4 bolt holes on the switch to be used, that makes it more secured and between the bracket and all 4 bolts no flexing should happen.

This fits really good and I have to say the only problem I had was this. I got a little to much off the top side. But I’m going to find a sticker or decal to go around it to clean that up.

The only negative I found was that the fuel cap sets lower now but it still comes off and on without any issues. Personally I like the look but some may not.

So what are y’all thoughts?
Possible changes?
Does anyone want one for there’s?

Really clean and thoughtful design and install. Maybe open up the gap the same all the way around and find a grommet to fit in the gap ???? Could cut/machine some aluminum to make a thin filler (like a flat washer), polish it up and glue it on. Trying to brainstorm for you but with diminished capabilities ... :doh:
Wouldn't work on my 1300 because I used that space for a gas cap hinge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Really clean and thoughtful design and install. Maybe open up the gap the same all the way around and find a grommet to fit in the gap ???? Could cut/machine some aluminum to make a thin filler (like a flat washer), polish it up and glue it on. Trying to brainstorm for you but with diminished capabilities ... :doh:
Wouldn't work on my 1300 because I used that space for a gas cap hinge.

I hadn’t thought about a grommet, that may be the way I go. Still kinda in the mock up stage getting ready for the winter year down to do the rest. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did this mod on my 1300 and I didn't like the look of the screws either. My solution was to use fast setting J B Weld to anchor the switch to the bezel. I put some JB Weld on the back side on both sides of the hole where the mounting tabs would set with the switch in the correct attitude. I set the switch down into the JB and them goobered more JB in top of the mounting tabs. I installed my switch on 6/12/16 @ 42,110 miles. The switch is still solidly attached today @ 48,508 miles.

View attachment 180457

View attachment 180465

View attachment 180473

Looks good. I thought about doing that but I was worried about the bezel cracking over time. I ride daily almost year round that why I decided on the bracket. I probably wouldn’t have had any issues going this way but Murphy seems to always know where I am! Lol!

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
I used a 1 7/8" hole saw and it is the perfect size. It is kind of a bastard size since it doesn't fit any of the pipe OD sizes, but I found one at Granger.
Jim ... Does this mod have one of those names attached to it (like Foots Mod for a 16" vtx1800 rear wheel on a 1300) ???

·
Super Moderator
5,319 Posts
Jim ... Does this mod have one of those names attached to it (like Foots Mod for a 16" vtx1800 rear wheel on a 1300) ???

Naw! I just call that my $23,000.00 switch. My brother (Harley rider) is always giving me sh*t about me riding a Honda. So, I told him I now have a Honda Davidson since I now have the $23,000.00 Harley switch!!!! :stirpot:

Actually, I added the switch because I have always hated the location of the ignition switch on the VTX. Only thing I have found about the bike that I didn't like!!!!

But after living with the $23,000.00 switch for over a year I still love it. Besides, it pisses my brother off when ever I tell someone about the switch being the only reason that he paid $23,000.00 more for his bike than I paid for mine. :bleh:

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
Nice! :patriot:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts