Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,323 Posts
Are you still making this mid and where did u get the switch is it a Goheen version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if your question is directed towards me or NEO1800. I just checked and it doesn't look like he has been on here since May of 2018. As far as my solution to the ignition switch relocation, I now have 15,394 miles since I installed the switch in the dash using the J-B KwikWeld (6 minute set) adhesive.

I have since sold that bike (Old Grey) but I removed the dash and swapped the speedo head units and reinstalled the original switch back in that bike. I have a new to me 1300S (Big Red) and have transferred the dash into the new bike. The switch is still firmly attached to the dash and the dash is showing no sign of cracking or damage of any kind.

If you go to Amazon and search for "Harley Davidson Ignition Switch you will find them for ~ $30.00 all the way up to ~ $70.00 for the Harley branded switch. I have the less expensive switch and have had no problem with it at all and have, in fact, installed two more of those switches into other bikes with no issues there either.

As posted earlier in this thread I purchased a 1 7/8" hole saw from Grainger to create the hole that the switch mounts into, that is probably the single most expensive part of the whole modification. This hole saw is the exact size to create a tight fitting mount for that switch. I used the exact center of the Honda logo on the dash as the point for drilling the pilot hole which perfectly centered the switch where it needed to go (nice of Honda to provide me with that little bit of help). If you go back to post #12 in this thread you will find 3 attachments, one showing the face of the dash with the switch already installed. On my trip to Nashville two years ago we rode in pouring rain on and off for two days with no electrical problems with that switch. I have also attached a picture of the hole saw that I used. If you have any more questions leave them here or feel free to PM me.

1.jpg 2.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure if your question is directed towards me or NEO1800. I just checked and it doesn't look like he has been on here since May of 2018. As far as my solution to the ignition switch relocation, I now have 15,394 miles since I installed the switch in the dash using the J-B KwikWeld (6 minute set) adhesive.

I have since sold that bike (Old Grey) but I removed the dash and swapped the speedo head units and reinstalled the original switch back in that bike. I have a new to me 1300S (Big Red) and have transferred the dash into the new bike. The switch is still firmly attached to the dash and the dash is showing no sign of cracking or damage of any kind.

If you go to Amazon and search for "Harley Davidson Ignition Switch you will find them for ~ $30.00 all the way up to ~ $70.00 for the Harley branded switch. I have the less expensive switch and have had no problem with it at all and have, in fact, installed two more of those switches into other bikes with no issues there either.

As posted earlier in this thread I purchased a 1 7/8" hole saw from Grainger to create the hole that the switch mounts into, that is probably the single most expensive part of the whole modification. This hole saw is the exact size to create a tight fitting mount for that switch. I used the exact center of the Honda logo on the dash as the point for drilling the pilot hole which perfectly centered the switch where it needed to go (nice of Honda to provide me with that little bit of help). If you go back to post #12 in this thread you will find 3 attachments, one showing the face of the dash with the switch already installed. On my trip to Nashville two years ago we rode in pouring rain on and off for two days with no electrical problems with that switch. I have also attached a picture of the hole saw that I used. If you have any more questions leave them here or feel free to PM me.

View attachment 195069 View attachment 195071
Excellent Bryansk so much order one from Goheen Cycles soon as it comes in imma install

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 22 of 22 Posts