Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to adjust the Honda 1300S headlight. Mine is angled too far down and difficult to ride at night and see more than about 15 feet in front of me.

Yep, I'm a two-month infant rider, but need to get past the nervousness of riding on dark Texas, deer infested roadways.

·
AIRBORNE
5,567 Posts
First welcome to the cafe! yes there are 2 adjusting bolts on the bottom at like 5 oclock and 7 oclock position! Mine wasd high when I got it and of course I added a light bar so I have lots of light!:patriot: Also download the service manual at the top of the page under sticky:patriot:

·
Registered
118 Posts
The 5 oclock screw adjusts the up/down and the 7 oclock screw adjusts the left/right. These screws are not to be confused with the headlight removal screws which are at 10 an 2 oclock.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Here is how to aim it properly:

Getting a correctly aimed headlight is straightforward. You need to make a couple of measurements and then aim the light at a flat wall, as follows:

With the bike on its wheels and you astride, have a helper measure the distance from the floor to the center of the headlight lens.

Pick a flat wall where you can locate the bike so the headlight is 17 feet from the wall. Place a horizontal mark on the wall two (2) inches lower than the height of the center of the headlight.

The headlight beam (on low beam) should be relatively flat on the top, and may rise rather sharply at the right edge. Adjust the headlight vertically so that the flat top of the beam is just up to that line (marked two inches down at 17 feet).

Horizontal adjustment should center the beam ahead of the line of the bike.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The 5 oclock screw adjusts the up/down and the 7 oclock screw adjusts the left/right. These screws are not to be confused with the headlight removal screws which are at 10 an 2 oclock.

Does this differ from bike to bike?

I have a 2006 1300C and the shop manual says the screw on the clutch side (5 o'clock) adjusts it horizontally and the screw on the brake side (7 o'clock) adjusts it vertically.

Is the shop manual correct or is that a mis-print?
thanks
Casey

·
Registered
308 Posts
FYI.....I had to take off the front of the light, as if changing the bulb, to adjust my headlight. The adjustment screws on my S did nothing but turn. If you have to take it apart to adjust it, you'll see why very quickly; cheaply made adjusters IMO. I took it off and put it about 8 times until I got it right. Good luck to you.

·
Slightly Bent
227 Posts
FYI.....I had to take off the front of the light, as if changing the bulb, to adjust my headlight. The adjustment screws on my S did nothing but turn. If you have to take it apart to adjust it, you'll see why very quickly; cheaply made adjusters IMO. I took it off and put it about 8 times until I got it right. Good luck to you.

+1. Except....after I took mine apart, I soon realized why the adjusting screws weren't doing anything.....the screws that hold the light inside the housing were too tight. Once you loosen those slightly, the adjusting screws actually do something productive.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Does this differ from bike to bike?

I have a 2006 1300C and the shop manual says the screw on the clutch side (5 o'clock) adjusts it horizontally and the screw on the brake side (7 o'clock) adjusts it vertically.

Is the shop manual correct or is that a mis-print?
thanks
Casey

which screws control which adjustment (vertical and horizontal)?
Casey

·
Registered
58 Posts
I tried to adjust mine once. I talked nicely to it, played classical music, but its attitude just stayed the same.

George

1 - 9 of 9 Posts