Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in serious need of help. I put a heat wrap on my 2002 VTX 1800 C. The pipe is hotter now. What can i do to fix this?

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
the paperwork that came with the heat wrap should have stated this..

you are keeping the heat inside of the pipe.. a winter coat for the pipe.

I have done several bikes and cars with exhaust heat wrap...

so WHAT is the issue ??

·
Registered
16,353 Posts
Not only that, it's in the 1300 section of the forum. Try asking under the 1800, you might get better responses. FWIW, these bikes were set up lean from the factory to pass emissions. Installing a fuel manager like a Dynojet PC-V or Cobra FI2000 or 3000 will richen up the mix resulting in more power and cooler operating temps. At the sacrifice of some mileage.

·
Super Moderator
9,928 Posts
When you say the "pipe is hotter now", how are you determining this? Are you comparing the temperature of the actual inside of the pipe? Are you comparing the temperature of the outer surface of the heat wrap to the previous outer surface of the chrome heat shield? Something else?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the paperwork that came with the heat wrap should have stated this..

you are keeping the heat inside of the pipe.. a winter coat for the pipe.

I have done several bikes and cars with exhaust heat wrap...

so WHAT is the issue ??
I put the wrap on so i wouldn't feel so much heat and my wife wont keep burning her shoes but I feel more heat than before now. Whats the fix for this? any ideas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that stuff does NOT work.. to thin...

look at stuff like this... we are talking about 800 degree exhaust... not a toaster ..

I just checked the details on the stuff i used and it doesnt even show a temp. So i should change out the wrap i got with a much better brand and that should reduce my heat greatly?

·
Premium Member
2005 VTX 1300S Full Dress Built by me.
48 Posts
I wrapped mine do to the condition of the heat shields, they were not pretty at all, I first wrapped over the heat shields but the rear pipe would not mount up to the exhaust flange due to the tight clearance around the case so I removed the shield just on that pipe and installed it. Well that f**ker got hot on my leg, I installed an aftermarket cheapo heat shroud over the wrap and I also made a leather crotch cooler out of some old saddle leather I had laying around, now I have no problem with my leg getting hot at stoplights and such. I will post some pics if I can find them , if not I will take some tomorrow and edit my post to add them.

You can see the difference in the diameter of the wrap from the front to the rear pipe, that's the heat shield underneath, the rear pipe was hitting the case where it wraps around going up keeping the flange from linning up. so I removed it and rewrapped. hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
9,928 Posts
The stock chrome heat shields work well because they have an air gap between them and the hot pipe. the air acts as a layer of insulation. The heat wrap appears to be functioning as a worse insulator than the air. Another brand of heat wrap might work better but I would not count on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wrapped mine do to the condition of the heat shields, they were not pretty at all, I first wrapped over the heat shields but the rear pipe would not mount up to the exhaust flange due to the tight clearance around the case so I removed the shield just on that pipe and installed it. Well that f**ker got hot on my leg, I installed an aftermarket cheapo heat shroud over the wrap and I also made a leather crotch cooler out of some old saddle leather I had laying around, now I have no problem with my leg getting hot at stoplights and such. I will post some pics if I can find them , if not I will take some tomorrow and edit my post to add them. View attachment 239248 View attachment 239249
You can see the difference in the diameter of the wrap from the front to the rear pipe, that's the heat shield underneath, the rear pipe was hitting the case where it wraps around going up keeping the flange from linning up. so I removed it and rewrapped. hope this helps.
Beautiful Bike! My the heat shield i had on it wont fit. I may have to try something like that. The doesnt burn on your heat shield?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The stock chrome heat shields work well because they have an air gap between them and the hot pipe. the air acts as a layer of insulation. The heat wrap appears to be functioning as a worse insulator than the air. Another brand of heat wrap might work better but I would not count on it.
I need a fix, I may try a rubber mallet to force my old heat sheild on because it wont fit now but that just make me sound desperate. Can i buy a wider heat shield? if yes do you have a place you can recommend?

·
Registered
16,353 Posts
That looks interesting. Any heat shield that attaches with worm-drive clamps, if they won't fit, get bigger longer worm drive clamps. My HK 3" pipes are double walled, but still plenty hot even with fuel manager. I added a chromed clamp style heat shield, still get burned. Might have dropped the temp 10*, IDK. When I roll up to a stop, I shift my weight onto my left foot and put my right up onto my highway peg away from a burn.

·
Registered
16,353 Posts
Yeah, but we all put headers on a V8 auto. No need for a heater with heated floorboards, lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That looks interesting. Any heat shield that attaches with worm-drive clamps, if they won't fit, get bigger longer worm drive clamps. My HK 3" pipes are double walled, but still plenty hot even with fuel manager. I added a chromed clamp style heat shield, still get burned. Might have dropped the temp 10*, IDK. When I roll up to a stop, I shift my weight onto my left foot and put my right up onto my highway peg away from a burn.
LOL, thats what i had to do but i have a bad knee...lol

·
Registered
16,353 Posts
LOL, thats what i had to do but i have a bad knee...lol
I feel for your bad knee. i had my left replaced 14 months ago. It's about 95% now, and thats probably as good as it will ever be, esp. at 69. Luckily my right knee isn't nearly as bad as the left was. I'd torn up the left one 40 years ago playing softball, so the right carried me for 40 years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts