Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '04 VTX-1800N2 with 10.5k miles for $3800. I haven't owned a bike in 5 years and I love this one. It's all black with a full Rinehart exhaust. I took it for a test ride in 55 degree weather before purchasing last Saturday, but finding nice days is hit or miss. I owned a '98 Shadow Aero 1100 in Wisconsin, so I'm used to being patient through long winters.

I'm not planning on investing a ton of money in this bike, but I'll probably pick up some used saddlebags and riding gear. Tips on what type of gear works well would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,398 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe from the booming metropolis of Wallburg, NC.

I have been to the tech-meet in Columbus at Gastin's place. Great place to meet other VTXers and get tips for upgrades and mods.
Most of us are fairly "frugal"(some are downright cheap)... and have found the best places to acquire parts or equipment for our bikes.
You should be able to find most of your needs through this forum. Many people change their bikes to suit themselves and have parts left over.

I have a brother with an ST-1300 in Cambridge Ohio. I visit often. We'd be happy to meet you and ride whenever I'm there with my bike.

·
Registered
16,952 Posts
Yes, please join us outside Marysville date still being finalized, either Memorial weekend Saturday, or 2 weeks prior to that. It's only a mile or 2 off the Rt. 42 exit on 33, Harriot road. Spend your first few bucks making sure all maintenance has been done. Obvious low miles means some things do go bad with age and from sitting. Mainly tire rubber. There is a 4 digit code on the sidewalls telling week and yr. of mfg. More than 4 or 5 yrs. old they are getting hard, losing their grip, beginning dry rot you can't easily see. Same for rear shock bushings. Easy to change. Inspect all rubber hoses too. All fluids need changed every 2 years or so- clutch & brake fluid should be clear in the reservoirs- no amber coloring. Rear final drive oil, coolant (50/50 silicate-free like Prestone), fork oil. Take the battery out to an auto parts house and have it 100 amp load tested. Cells go weak or bad, still show 12 V, but won't turn her over or let you sit in the middle of nowhere. Grounding points do corrode and cause electrical continuity issues like poor performance. Be safe, be secure first before spending a lot on personalizing your new addiction. Welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies.

·
Too short for my weight
5,610 Posts
Welcome from the mountains of western NC!!!

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Welcome from sunny Carolina !!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Welcome from the Florida SpaceCoast

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,708 Posts
Welcome from Indy. Like they said go to the tech session you can meet many of us and learn about your bike maintenance and see things to spend your money on. :)

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Welcome to the cafe. I've been to the last 2 tech sessions in Ohio and had a blast. Even when it rained.

·
Super Moderator
5,464 Posts
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Welcome to the Cafe from the sunny Central Valley in California. Enjoy the addiction!!!
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to the Cafe from the booming metropolis of Wallburg, NC.

I have been to the tech-meet in Columbus at Gastin's place. Great place to meet other VTXers and get tips for upgrades and mods.
Most of us are fairly "frugal"(some are downright cheap)... and have found the best places to acquire parts or equipment for our bikes.
You should be able to find most of your needs through this forum. Many people change their bikes to suit themselves and have parts left over.

I have a brother with an ST-1300 in Cambridge Ohio. I visit often. We'd be happy to meet you and ride whenever I'm there with my bike.
Thank you for the review of the tech day. I'll be there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, please join us outside Marysville date still being finalized, either Memorial weekend Saturday, or 2 weeks prior to that. It's only a mile or 2 off the Rt. 42 exit on 33, Harriot road. Spend your first few bucks making sure all maintenance has been done. Obvious low miles means some things do go bad with age and from sitting. Mainly tire rubber. There is a 4 digit code on the sidewalls telling week and yr. of mfg. More than 4 or 5 yrs. old they are getting hard, losing their grip, beginning dry rot you can't easily see. Same for rear shock bushings. Easy to change. Inspect all rubber hoses too. All fluids need changed every 2 years or so- clutch & brake fluid should be clear in the reservoirs- no amber coloring. Rear final drive oil, coolant (50/50 silicate-free like Prestone), fork oil. Take the battery out to an auto parts house and have it 100 amp load tested. Cells go weak or bad, still show 12 V, but won't turn her over or let you sit in the middle of nowhere. Grounding points do corrode and cause electrical continuity issues like poor performance. Be safe, be secure first before spending a lot on personalizing your new addiction. Welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies.
Wonderful, thanks for the intro to VTX maintenance!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts