Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am the proud owner of a 2003 1300S that I got about a month ago. Been riding it as much as possible before the weather turns nasty and haven't been happier. I have noticed a couple of things and was wondering if I could get some guidance.

The guy I bought it from had gotten into an accident sometime in 2005, so it sat mostly for the past five years or so. It only had 5400 miles on it when I bought it. I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that it's running a little ragged for the first 10 minutes or so, but usually straightens out after that. It makes all the noises that I've read about on the forums (does it sound like a Singer sewing machine? Absolutely, and it gets tickier the longer I ride it). The thing that's concerning me is that it looks like there's oil on the end of the top exhaust pipe. It looks like it smokes a little bit, but it's nothing excessive and it's hard to tell if it's smoke or just cold outside. I haven't gotten a chance to change the plugs yet because of work. Is this a valve issue, or something else? Or, am I just being paranoid? :hmm2:

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Welcome to the cafe from Florida. There should be no oilleaks in the bike. Do you see and place where there is any oil standing? With the engine cool run a rag over ther area and see if you pick oil up on the rag.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Mine stayed parked in a warehouse for about 6 years. When I got it out there was no oil anywhere on it. When I got it to the house(3 hour ride) I found I had blown the seals out of the right shock. This could be whats happening. If not ,have you changed the oil in the motor? Old oil will "burn off" and motor oil has an additive in it to keep rubber soft.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not leaking from the bike but inside the exhaust pipe itself. I noticed it when I was warming it up this afternoon. The first thing I did when I got it home was change the oil because it had sat for so long.

Thanks for all the input and insight in advance.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hi Lawrence, KS, congrats on having an awesome bike. What is the mileage on your bike now? These bikes are built to last well over 100,000 miles, i want to reassure you that they will not break easily. You really have to clean the bike from head to toe in order to trace a leak of any kind. Does the bike have stock exhaust, does it have stock intake? Whenever you ask a question in a forum like this, it helps if you give all the info that you can. This forum is like having the knowledge of many many expert mechanics to give advice and assistance. You bought a great bike and you are in good hands. Probably you will want to winterize it as Kansas winters are not too kind. Take care, good luck with your bike, Bry :mosh:

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
The ragged run for the first 10 minutes is normal for a stock bike because it is setup way too lean from the factory (worse when it's cold). Buy a Glen's garage permanent adjustment screw. Remove the stock screw, install Glen's screw and set it at 2 1/2 turns out. You will never have to use the choke again and it will be smooth as silk at all temperatures. There are instructions on many threads on how to do this mod. Very easy. Do a search.

The water/oil on the exhaust is most likely just water and some excess fuel from warming up with the choke out. See above.

Since the bike setup so long you really should change the oil and filter - if you have not already done so.

·
2,807 Posts
hello from the showme state (parkville, just north of the missouri river) give me a yell when the snow melts and we can ride).

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,118 Posts
Since it sat for that long, I'd change the coolant and all the fluids and you might want to check the tires for dry rot. I'd bet money that everything is original. There are plenty of write-ups for everything and don't be afraid to ask questions. How else you gonna learn?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all of the great info. The bike has Roadhouse pipes. I'm not totally certain that the previous owner had the carbs adjusted or re-jetted. I've been reading the posts about adjusting the A/F and the dreaded steering wobble. The bike rides great, but it looks like I've got some work to do. Looking forward to it.

I got the bike with 5400 miles, it now has 6320.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
First off, Welcome to the Cafe!

The thing that's concerning me is that it looks like there's oil on the end of the top exhaust pipe.
Probably just condensation. You are riding in the fall/winter. This happens. However, I would take the precaution of keeping an eye on your coolant level, just in case.

The guy I bought it from had gotten into an accident sometime in 2005, so it sat mostly for the past five years or so.
Just to clarify: Did the Accident involve your VTX? You said the guy got into an accident, but I wasn't sure if he was on the VTX when said accident happened.

The 10 minute thing.. thats indicative of a stock bike. Which would be interesting because you have roadhouse pipes on it. Do you know if the guy put them on his self or did he have a dealership do it?

Typically, a dealership will play on the "Common Knowledge" that aftermarket pipes = re-jet needed, and sell you a cheap $30 Jet Kit for $90 then charge an Arm and a Leg to install it.

(Liquid Cooled Engines do not need a re-jet when aftermarket pipes are installed. Air Cooled Engines do. We are liquid cooled.)

So, if a dealership installed the pipes, you can assume its been re-jetted. If he did the pipes his self, then maybe not. But like I said, the 10 minute thing is indicative of a stock set up... so

I'm not totally certain that the previous owner had the carbs adjusted or re-jetted.
Singular. We only have 1 Carb.

Depending on wether or not its re-jetted, there are things you can do to make it run quite a bit better. Knock that 10 minute thing down to around 1 minute. :)

-Gonz

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned as the bike has been setting up for several years. I would think that a llittle gas treatment for the carburetor will help and make sure that your choke (enrichment valve) is closed might help the light smoke. I would change all liquids, sparkplugs and go from there. Welcome to the cafe from Tennessee.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
here's a shout out from Calgary Alberta - may you ride with the wind at your back, the sun overhead and the road endlessly winding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
make sure its not blue smoke may be burning oil if it is but if it looks like grayish its probably ok think of the way cars are in cold weather but if its blue could be oil

1 - 20 of 40 Posts