Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Hello from Mankato,MN.

588 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Wigit 
#1 ·
My name is Festus, I'm in my early 20's and with no prior riding experience. I picked up my 1300 about two days ago with literally 30 minutes of riding experience. So far, I've increased my riding experience to about 5 hr, with half of that on the highways 65+ mph. Loving and appreciating every second I get to spend on the bike, especially with the weather dropping to 55°F during my ride today.
I'd appreciate some word of advice for a new rider and also things that I should know as a VTX1300 owner.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Cruiser Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

See less See more
#2 ·
First, read a TON of everything you can about the 1300, then read it again. Learn to do all basic maintenances yourself, saving wear & tear on your wallet, freeing up $$ for buying stuff to 'make her yours'. Ask questions, they will be answered. If possible, attend M & G's with other VTX-ers, tech sessions even if you have to overnight while there. You will be so richly rewarded with new friends, new knowledge, new skills you will be hard pressed to gain otherwise. Welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies.

#3 ·
Welcome from Upstate NY. I agree with paxman, tons of info on this forum and from its members. My 2 cents get some good gloves/coat/helmet/chaps and get on and ride till the snow flies.
Again welcome to the forum and congrats on the bike.

#4 · (Edited)
Hello Festus and welcome to the forum. As mentioned in the previous replies to your post, there is a ton of info in here about your bike. You can ask about pretty much anything and there will always be someone with a reply to help you out.
The main reason for my response to your post is to talk about safety while you are out on your new ride. I don't want to sound like your mother but because you are a new rider I want help to ensure that you get years of pleasure from your 1300...
Did you know that over 90% of motorcycle fatalities are first year riders with little or no formal training? Some things that you need to learn asap are as follows;
1. Learn how to walk your bike. This is done by bringing up the throttle, riding the rear brake and feathering the clutch all at the same time. With a bike you are either on the throttle or on the brakes, never coasting. Besides, you look like a dork when you "duck walk" a bike. Find a empty parking lot and practice
2. Learn where you should position your bike (where in your lane) when riding in two lane, four lane or more traffic. In two lane you should be where the left tire of a car would be. In four lane it depends on which lane you are in; the curb lane is the LHS while the "fast" lane is the RHS. Why the RHS? One, you are controlling the lane, idiots will sometimes try to use part of your lane for dumb*ss maneuvers and two, as you come up on other traffic you are visible for a longer period of time in their side view mirror and "blind spot".
3. Ride like you are invisible. I have had people look straight at me then do something that put me in danger...assume nothing other than that people in cars and trucks do not seem to notice bikes.
4. Always ride with your high beam on (exception is at night)...you may even want to replace to stock bulb with a ultra bright version.
5. Brake before a corner if required, and accelerate as/after you come out of it. Moderate acceleration in a corner is normal when coming up to speed.
6. Being in Mn you already know about sand and gravel on the roads in the spring. Pay attention to road conditions year around but especially in the spring.
I could go on but the real lessons will come with experience, the longer you ride the better you'll get. Enjoy that sweet new ride, stay safe and continue to learn. Cheers.

#5 · (Edited)
Hey, Festus, another Canadian here. Stellar advice so far, which you can always expect from the Cafe. I just wanted to say I'm very impressed with your choice of first motorcycle. Most guys your age go for the sport bikes. You seem to have 'advanced taste'. ;) Good for you. Nice looking bike.
Here's something that I think you should know....

Rule #1: Have fun!

Cheers, man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.