Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 VTX 1800C, Blue
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks! Just added a 2002 VTX 1800 to my stable. It’s blue with Pro-charger intake, V&H exhaust and Power Commander III non-usb. Resolving a few mechanical issues prior to putting it on the road. Glad to be onboard.
9EB5AD8B-B834-464E-86D7-DFEA2BEC6B76.jpeg D9BEFBFB-6E53-4375-A96D-549AB1F9F4CA.jpeg

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
Hi folks! Just added a 2002 VTX 1800 to my stable. It’s blue with Pro-charger intake, V&H exhaust and Power Commander III non-usb. Resolving a few mechanical issues prior to putting it on the road. Glad to be onboard.
View attachment 239881 View attachment 239882
Welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies. My '03 is similar to your '02, except mine's black, the fastest color. That shade of blue was really appealing, but when I bought mine in 2011, I didn't have a lot of selection to choose from. I've never regretted the color though, other than it shows dirt and scratches easily. What is the history of your bike, like mileage? What maintenances have been done to her, and how long ago? All fluids need changing every 2-3 years, since their hygroscopic nature means they will draw moisture, and thats bad. Have your battery fully charged, then take it to an automotive dealer that will do a 100 amp automotive LOAD TEST. It can show 12 volts, but have a weak cell or more and fail on you. The FI, and electronics on these bikes are critical to have a fully functioning battery and charging system. The early ones like we have are prone to having the FPR, or fuel pressure regulator, fail due to aging and the diaphragm cracking, than any high miles or abuse. It will cost you $40 at a Honda dealer, and maybe an hr. of your time, and a couple special small tools you may already have. Check your dipstick: Smell it. If you smell fuel, it's in need of replacing. Don't ride it until you replace the FPR, change the oil and filter once, then ride around the block, and change just the oil a second time. Replace the rear shock bushings, with the green ones from Honda. Somewhere on here is the part #. Tires regardless of the amount of tread, need replacement after 4-5 years. They get hard, lose their grip, are beginning dry rot cracks. Whats your safety worth? There is a 4 digit sidewall code that has the week & yr. of mfg., like 1115 means they were made the middle of March of 2015. Great guys here who will answer all your questions. You just missed a great weekend get together in Welch, W. by GOD Va., 2 weeks ago. There's probably another in Oct.? Great chance to meet & greet a bunch of us hooligans on here. We're pretty much like family, which means most are pretty good with a bad apple or 2.

Reactions: MosinZealot

·
Super Moderator
10,089 Posts
Welcome from a few hrs west of you in NC.

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
There are a few of us zanies not that far from you, Wallburg & High Point to name a couple.

·
Registered
2002 VTX 1800C, Blue
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies. My '03 is similar to your '02, except mine's black, the fastest color. That shade of blue was really appealing, but when I bought mine in 2011, I didn't have a lot of selection to choose from. I've never regretted the color though, other than it shows dirt and scratches easily. What is the history of your bike, like mileage? What maintenances have been done to her, and how long ago? All fluids need changing every 2-3 years, since their hygroscopic nature means they will draw moisture, and thats bad. Have your battery fully charged, then take it to an automotive dealer that will do a 100 amp automotive LOAD TEST. It can show 12 volts, but have a weak cell or more and fail on you. The FI, and electronics on these bikes are critical to have a fully functioning battery and charging system. The early ones like we have are prone to having the FPR, or fuel pressure regulator, fail due to aging and the diaphragm cracking, than any high miles or abuse. It will cost you $40 at a Honda dealer, and maybe an hr. of your time, and a couple special small tools you may already have. Check your dipstick: Smell it. If you smell fuel, it's in need of replacing. Don't ride it until you replace the FPR, change the oil and filter once, then ride around the block, and change just the oil a second time. Replace the rear shock bushings, with the green ones from Honda. Somewhere on here is the part #. Tires regardless of the amount of tread, need replacement after 4-5 years. They get hard, lose their grip, are beginning dry rot cracks. Whats your safety worth? There is a 4 digit sidewall code that has the week & yr. of mfg., like 1115 means they were made the middle of March of 2015. Great guys here who will answer all your questions. You just missed a great weekend get together in Welch, W. by GOD Va., 2 weeks ago. There's probably another in Oct.? Great chance to meet & greet a bunch of us hooligans on here. We're pretty much like family, which means most are pretty good with a bad apple or 2.
Thanks Paxman11 for the welcome and the service recommendations. I am working slowly on this one. I have changed the oil and filter, the rear differential fluids, and the spark plugs. Will also be changing the coolant shortly. Just completed removing the PAIR and Secondary Air Systems. Presently working on changing the fork seals and front wheel bearing dust seals (awaiting parts). Will take in consideration your recommendation to change the FPR while I’m at it.

·
Mosin Prime
2005 1300R Lots of lights! 2 air horns P3 tail light w/Photon blasters Diode Dynamics and Daymaker
788 Posts
Welcome from SE PA. Nice looking one there. I have since traded my VTX in, and I loved every minute of it. It did anything and everything I ever wanted it to, and more! If I'm ever in NC, I'll waive from my Indian! Should have a good time on that VTX! I never rode a 1800, just the 1300.

·
Registered
2002 VTX 1800C, Blue
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome from SE PA. Nice looking one there. I have since traded my VTX in, and I loved every minute of it. It did anything and everything I ever wanted it to, and more! If I'm ever in NC, I'll waive from my Indian! Should have a good time on that VTX! I never rode a 1800, just the 1300.
Hi MosinZealot! I presently have a 2000 GL1500 Goldwing and a 2008 Yamaha 1900 Roadliner. I am reluctantly selling the Goldwing. That baby is sweet. After fighting off HD fever (at least for the moment), I figured I would give the VTX 1800 a go. I’m pondering a Honda F6B or HD Street Glide.

·
Mosin Prime
2005 1300R Lots of lights! 2 air horns P3 tail light w/Photon blasters Diode Dynamics and Daymaker
788 Posts
Well can't speak about any of those, never road on them before. They sound nice. Roadliner is a nice name kind of similar to something else. I graduated to a Roadmaster. I guess I can ride the 1800 now, they are just over like 1812cc or something their 111cid Thunderstroke motor. Still think about my VTX often and still kind of wish I had it. But I don't need two motorcycles, not enough space anyways. Sounds like it went to a good home, too. This is the first belt drive I have had. I liked the shaft drives a lot. My first was a Suzuki Intruder in 2008, a 1996 year. Then in 2012 the VTX, and now in 2020 an Indian. 2 months, going on 1500 miles already. But still like to poke around here and help if I can, too. You might catch the VTX fever now! haha!!

·
Too short for my weight
5,497 Posts
Welcome from the mountains of western NC!! these are great bikes! I have a 1300 and an 1800 now :). If you come to the mountains, holler, if I can I’ll tour guide....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts