Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Cypressknee. I ride a 2002 VTX 1800C. No upgrades or mods done at this time. I have about 18,000 miles on the bike at this time. Have a little problem though. I believe the front wheel bearings need to be replaced on my ride, as evidenced by the loud screatching sound and metal to metal banging sound coming from the front end while the wheel is in motion. :banghead: I have read that this can be a problem on these bikes. Does anyone have any ideas about aftermarket bearings for the front? I'm afraid if I go OEM, then I will be replacing them again soon. Anyones input is welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Hello from Cypressknee. I ride a 2002 VTX 1800C. No upgrades or mods done at this time. I have about 18,000 miles on the bike at this time. Have a little problem though. I believe the front wheel bearings need to be replaced on my ride, as evidenced by the loud screatching sound and metal to metal banging sound coming from the front end while the wheel is in motion. :banghead: I have read that this can be a problem on these bikes. Does anyone have any ideas about aftermarket bearings for the front? I'm afraid if I go OEM, then I will be replacing them again soon. Anyones input is welcome. Thanks

Hey Cypress,
Welcome, from Cape Coral. Have you checked the front brakes?

Genetic

·
Registered
954 Posts
Welcome to the cafe from Naples. If your front end noise is fixed by Dec. 11th. a group of vtx riders and friends are riding to Sarasota for a meet and greet that day and then some are going to bike night in Cape Coral. It would be great if you could make it.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Welcome to the cafe from Naples. If your front end noise is fixed by Dec. 11th. a group of vtx riders and friends are riding to Sarasota for a meet and greet that day and then some are going to bike night in Cape Coral. It would be great if you could make it.:cheers:
Heck yea! Here is the link for ya to post up if you are going to join!

http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=52612

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hello from NY and welcome to the Cafe. I used to wrench for a Honda Dealership years ago. Wheel bearings were something that we considered almost bulletproof. I'm pretty new to the Cafe myself, but have been on every day or night since may of this year. Have heard no complaints about wheel bearings. If yours are bad, it could be from improper tightening after wheel removal. I say go with the OEM bearings. I dont think you will find better bearings, or will need better bearings.
Good luck with your X
Bry

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee and wishing you a nice day. :patriot:
<!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the welcomes and comments. I'm finding this site very inspiring. Its not just about the bikes, but about overcoming our own personal fears about knuckle busting on the machines we love the most, and the comraderie, which is hard to find now-a-days. About my bearings..... I just happened to have my front tire changed approx a month prior. Hmmmmmm! For the SW Fl riders, I really look forward to meeting you. I'll do my best to have it fixed before Meet and Greet in Sarasota.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
here's a shout out from Calgary Alberta - may you ride with the wind at your back, the sun overhead and the road endlessly winding.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe from Spring, TeXas. :cheers:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Welcome from Tampa... If its the front brake you should feel a little difficulty rolling, if its the bearing there should be a slight wobble. Have someone sit on the bike and lift up on the forks and see if you feel a wobble. Its not a perfect test due the the tire never leaving the ground.

If your unsure which it is disengage the brake and roll it down the driveway. If the sound goes away its your brakes if it stays its the bearing.

If its the bearings I know alot of guys like Alls Balls, dont know myself.

·
.45 Goodness
3,078 Posts
Welcome from Frostproof,FL :)

Ride Safe :choppersm

1 - 20 of 23 Posts