Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a 2005 vtx 1800 injection roughly 30.000 miles basicly runs but like a pig ,im pretty sure its the exhaust camshafts on both cylinders but first ,i would like to pass this by with a few piston heads to see what they think
i am an engineer i have been working on mtu cats and detroits for more than 40 years
ok symptoms starts perfectly cold or hot ,misfires throu the hole range and vibrates in every gear cannot sit at 70mph shudders on. acceleration when you down shift backfires out of the exhaust ,,exhausts are standard from the factory
ok standard practice change spark plugs ,still the same coil packs changed still the same ,injectors out tested all ok ,vacum leaks none ,spark plugs out i looked in side with endiscope pistons come too the top no bent conrods
next compresion test now this is when things start to go realy weird ok took 1 plug out of each cilinder coils unpluged
spun engine over front cylinder 0 compression ,back cilinder the same 0 compresion ,ok next step i ran the front cilinders all conected engine running 600 rpm 0 compresion 800 rpm rose to 22 psi ,and then front to back same results ,ps i also checked valve clearance all ok ,so now im thinking it has a problem with the decompressor side of the exhaust camshafts so my question is has anyone had a similar problem ,
1 is it possible to get cam covers of without lowering the engine
2 is it possible to change camshafts without lowering the engine
3 is it possible to remove the decompresor lobe on the camshaft and still use origional camshaft
i have left the last part of the story its the best okay some times you have to bite the bullit and take it too a dealer
so i booked an appointment at the local and only honda dealer on the island 9am monday morning im there mechanic comes out maybe 22 years old he turns and says to me sorry we dont do harleys here only honda ,so i pointed to the vin number oops he said i have never seen this model before ,,okay no problem we all make mistakes
so the next day they call me i arrive ,and present me with a quotation to change the clutch 900 dollars ,so i stept back and started looking around and the head mechanic says what are you looking for i said a mirror to see if i have big fluffy ears big teeth and a tail ,so i said okay im 65 years old rode motor bikes since 5 years old and i have never ever heard of a clutch that causes misfires and backfires ,i then looked at the quotation included in the bill was a 2 hour test drive and 65 miles added to the clock , i just took the keys of him and never ever returned back what a joke .

okay guys happy reading
any suggestions much appreciated
thanks regards to all
frank mckenna

·
Registered
16,478 Posts
Have you started at square 1, that is, fully charging the battery then having it 100 amp load tested, to eliminate possibility of 1 or more weak cells? The cleaning and tightening the terminals with a socket or wrench, not a screwdriver? Then doing the "Ground fix" ? If you've done these, then nevermind, other more knowledgable than me will have to answer. I do remember some in the past have had issues with the decompression lobes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you started at square 1, that is, fully charging the battery then having it 100 amp load tested, to eliminate possibility of 1 or more weak cells? The cleaning and tightening the terminals with a socket or wrench, not a screwdriver? Then doing the "Ground fix" ? If you've done these, then nevermind, other more knowledgable than me will have to answer. I do remember some in the past have had issues with the decompression lobes.
hi sorry for late reply yes i have replaced the battery about 6 months ago with a gel type and also added extra earth straps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you tell us how your bike is set up. Possibly mods (i.e., aftermarket exhaust, air intake, desmog, fuel manager, etc) or is it stock? Any F1 light error codes? Is this bike new to you or have you owned it a while and your issues recently began? ECU Error Codes (VTX 1800) « Bareass Choppers Motorcycle Tech Pages
hello ,there has been no mods all origional ,no f1 lights coming up or ecu codes ,i even swapped ecu onto another vtx the other bike rode all okay mine still judders throu all the ranges and back fires ,i did this yesterday june 26 2020 i also done compresion test on his both cilinders 110 psi on starter speed ,so now im 99.9 percent sure its the exhaust camshafts ,and yes i bought the bike with this problem 2000euros normally over here in spain between 7000,euros up to 11.000 euros ,what could i go wrong with at that price ,,,,,,,

·
Registered
16,478 Posts
Most of us have learned that sticking with the Yuasa OEM battery is preferable. Don't know how good your gel battery might be. 'Earth straps'. Had to think for a minute thats what you refer to ground wires or ground points. Hope some others can help you from here.

Reactions: SouthWestSon

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would have to agree with PaXman11. Bad battery battery connections can cause the problems you're experiencing. Are you having any issues with the speedo...like the needle bouncing or not working? If so, the Velocity Speed Sensor is worth looking into. I owned a 06 VTX1800R that I owned since new. At about 24K miles I experienced the same symptoms. I replaced the Speed Sensor and it all went away...rode the bike another 30K miles (54K total) with no further issues before she was sold. These bikes are built tough and it could be as simple as a sensor...good luck. Let us know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would have to agree with PaXman11. Bad battery battery connections can cause the problems you're experiencing. Are you having any issues with the speedo...like the needle bouncing or not working? If so, the Velocity Speed Sensor is worth looking into. I owned a 06 VTX1800R that I owned since new. At about 24K miles I experienced the same symptoms. I replaced the Speed Sensor and it all went away...rode the bike another 30K miles (54K total) with no further issues before she was sold. These bikes are built tough and it could be as simple as a sensor...good luck. Let us know.
hi over the weekend my friend let me use his bike ,i basically swapped and tested everything ground wire all good charging all good and at the same time i put in new ground wires on his bike ,so i think im back to removing exhaust camshafts as his showed compression on starter ,mine showed nothing so it will have to wait as im moving house this weekend ,so probably in two weeks i will bite the bullit and remove the camshafts :p:p:p:p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts