Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going on a trip to the west coast this summer and I know I will have to travel in some states that have a helmet law. I hate wearing a helmet so can anyone recommend a half helmet that doesnt weight as much as a steel pot. I get neck aches.:choppersm

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
I would think any of the carbon fiber made ones would be the lightest.

·
Registered
452 Posts
My HJC FS-2 is pretty light, and doesn't buffet much. My EXO 100 is much nicer looking, and has a fold up sun visor. But naturally, :rolleyes: it buffets in the wind.

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
I like my HJC M2 although I don't think it is any longer made. Wishing you a nice day,

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Since you dont normally wear a helmet anyway, you might as well look online for a basic skid lid. You can hear very well, lots of breeze in the face, and they are very light. I recommend getting one with the visor, take the silly visor off, but bring a face shield in case of heavy rain, hail, etc. Price of helmet, not more than 20 dollars, face shield, maybe 7 -10 dollars more. Thats my two cents. :D and why not?
Bry :choppersm

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
Since you don't wear one...just buy a novelty....will get you through the the states where you are required to wear it, but yet you wont be out much money.....Ga has a helmet law and I wear nothing but a novelty helmet....not expensive, not heavy and don't look like a mushroom sitting on your head....

Good Luck :cheers:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Some states require a DOT approved helmet, no? Novelty helmets are not safe, ie, not DOT approved. Id hate to see you get a ticket for not being "legal".

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
If they pull you over to check the DOT status of your helmet, you have bigger issues than a helmet to worry about...I was stopped in TN...with my novelty on and TN is very big on helmets....never not one time was anything said about my helmet...I would use one just to get me through states that require a helmet...but hey thats me..

·
Deactivated Account
218 Posts
I use a skid lid in the summer. When the sun's really baking, it's cooler than no helmet and as small as a carbon fiber. DOT approved.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
If you're gonna wear a helmet, you might as well wear one that protects you. A good DOT approved helmet is not uncomfortable.

Personally, i always wear DOT and Snell approved. A full face and put the shield up when I want wind and down when I don't. It's light, I'm used to it, and I'm sure I'll be happy I had it one WHEN I crash next.

·
Registered
198 Posts
So what are the percentages? (sounds like a good idea for a poll) Around here, it seems like helmet wearers are few and far between. I can't see being on a bike WITHOUT one, but I'm kind of a freak from a safety gear standpoint (boots, gloves, synthetic jacket). I'd have to care what other people thought about me to worry about how I look.

·
Seasoned Member
876 Posts
If they pull you over to check the DOT status of your helmet, you have bigger issues than a helmet to worry about...I was stopped in TN...with my novelty on and TN is very big on helmets....never not one time was anything said about my helmet...I would use one just to get me through states that require a helmet...but hey thats me..

Try the fake helmet in NC,Its a ticket

·
Registered
41 Posts
i'd have difficulty making a recommendation for the op. because i also wear a full face helmet.

statistics show that close to 40% of contact to the head in an accident is in the left and right mandibular (lower jaw) and lower cheek areas. that means that almost 50% of the time if you come off your bike, you're getting hit in the lower portion of your face, you know, the good looking part that you see in the mirror. neither the half helmet nor the three quarter helmet provide protect to those areas.

all that being said, if you're not wearing a helmet at all, then you're probably not wearing leathers or any type of body armor...so you're priorities don't lay in concerns with those issues.

in that case...all you want is cheap that makes you legit in the states in question. so you really don't need the help of the folks on the site here to make that kind of decision. a search on amazon brings up a couple sites with $20 helmets and even one with $16 helmet.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Psst! Hey, MadMarv, thats quite a bike for your first.. Congrats, if cruisers are your thing, and i guess they are, you sure started at the top :D
Enjoy it, ride safe, ride free
Bry

·
Registered
4,892 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Psst! Hey, MadMarv, thats quite a bike for your first.. Congrats, if cruisers are your thing, and i guess they are, you sure started at the top :D
Enjoy it, ride safe, ride free
Bry
thanks, bry. i looked at some bikes as i got my license. everybody said, 'you're going to buy one and find out you want a bigger one in less than a month.'

at a local powersports dealership, i sat on a 04 vtx 1800. i will admit it was intimidating, but i liked the feel right away. did some searching on internet and located my eventual bike in orange, mass. it was bought by one owner new in 1-10, had 1550 miles, owner wanted to move up to goldwing and was asking $7,395. we split shipping. it take a month for it to get here. in meantime, i practiced with suzuki savage for a week, then a honda shadow...but since it arrived, been on it and it feels very comfortable, handles like a dream, gets up and goes.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
MadMarv, I hear you, and all the guys who told you to not buy small were right on the money with their advice. The 1800 is a very freakish bike, definitely one of a kind. You got a great deal and i know you must love it. Also your right about it getting up and going! It takes off reallly good, amazing even considering its an over 800 lb bike.
Best of luck with it!
Bry :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Your head is worth the best you can buy (or afford). Shoei full-face is my choice. Perfect fit, very quiet and extremely comfortable...not to mention excellent protection. For that matter, I would also recommend other protective gear such as pants/jacket or a suit. I love the Olympia Phantom suit. Fits great - comfortable winter and summer.

Managing risk is part of riding. I wouldn't ride without them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts