Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an issue with my 2003 VTX 1800C. It just started running really rough "not firing right. I checked the spark plugs and they all seem to be sparking. The very front coil ( by the top of the tank) is new and the one closest to the seat (bottom one) is only a couple years old, but all plugs are sparking. The gas level is fine. Has any one else had the problem? Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Is it running rough and dieing on idle and running rich, if so look at your fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I agree. Check the FPR and make sure the left, front plug wire is fully inserted into the coil. Don't trim it, it's too short to begin with.

·
Sarge
643 Posts
+1 on the ground fix and make sure the 2 small wires on the coils are FULLY seated...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK thanks guys, I have one question, when you say a "ground fix" your just making sure that the battery is grounded out? Again thanks and I will let you know how I make out. Your help is greatly apperciated.

·
Sarge
643 Posts
There is a thread on it...the ground on earlier models isn't very sound and needs to be addressed. It is one of the grounds on the coils!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ground Fix.

OK thanks guys, I have one question, when you say a "ground fix" your just making sure that the battery is grounded out? Again thanks and I will let you know how I make out. Your help is greatly apperciated.

Honda painted the frame then attached ground wires. :spank:
The paint keeps the wires from making a good contact.
You will need to remove the wires and coils from the frame then sand away the paint to expose bare metal.
Put a little dielectric grease on the bare spots re-attach everything and your good to go.
A very easy fix.
Go to Bares site for great instructions on the process.

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/electrical/ground-fix-for-vtx-1800/
I hope this helps you with the problem
Good luck .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts