Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Need more road time!!
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Past two nights I've gotten home from work on the bike, a 28 mile ride. I've gotten a sound that sounds like the starter kicking in when I shut OFF then engine!! Any ideas? Thank you.

·
Need more road time!!
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine does the same thing occasionally...Kinda like the clunky shifter, it's a VTX thing...
Thanks, Bass, It kinda worried me because I've had it a year and it just started it two days ago.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Mine's been doing it for a couple years now at least...Not every time I shut it down, but once in awhile...Hasn't broken yet, so I don't worry too much about it...First few times it did freak me out a bit though...

·
Registered
877 Posts
Mine does too on occasion. Freaks me out a little sometimes, but nothing broken yet.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
That's odd, I only sometimes hear the sound of cylinder compression depending on the stroke cycle when shutting down. It makes a strange sound, but nothing I'd consider a high-pitch noise at all.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Is it a whine? How do you shut down the bike? Does it stop when you turn the key off? If answer to first and last is yes then it is probably the fan running; sometimes it will kick on when you shut down either by the kickstand or kill switch and the stop when you turn the key off. Think, we have been having 95 degree + temps lately so yes the bike is getting hot; mine is doing just that for the last week or so.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
The starter clutch will make a clunk when the engine is shut off. It works on the rotation of the engine. It retract when it looses it's centrifugal force. it's normal.

Donut/Doug:patriot:

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
The starter clutch will make a clunk when the engine is shut off. It works on the rotation of the engine. It retract when it looses it's centrifugal force. it's normal.

Donut/Doug:patriot:
He referenced a "high pitch noise" rather than a clunk, that is why I went with the fan.

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
Help!! High pitch noise!
i was gonna say maybe dont clench the ol' cheeks so tight when riding...i think when youre getting off the bike, the "air" that escapes is what makes the high pitch noise...its normal...just teach yourself not to ride so tense though and you will be just fine

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
i was gonna say maybe dont clench the ol' cheeks so tight when riding...i think when youre getting off the bike, the "air" that escapes is what makes the high pitch noise...its normal...just teach yourself not to ride so tense though and you will be just fine
Actually Jimmy just think, if he is riding a blue bike it is the wind rush finally catching up with him!

·
Need more road time!!
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I apreciate all the feed back guy's. As far as my shut down procedure, I pull into the garage, put in nuetral, put the kickstand down, slide my block of wood under the stand while on the bike (have to protect the epoxy finish on the garage floor!!) get off the bike, then turn the key off. It definately is not the sound of the fan, it sounds more like a starter that kicks in on a already running engine. It's only done it twice but I wanted to get ideas.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have had this happen on a few occasions and I definitely think it is the starter. The first time it happened I thought I had hit the start button on accident while I was turning the key off (that reach down with one hand and hold on w/the other kind of thing..... why did Honda put the key there?).

It also happened the other day. Got caught in a wicked storm (huge hail) and ran the bike under a pavillion at a park (yes people were huddling under it as well). It's a bit loud in enclosed spaces and with folks looking freaked enough from the storm I did not want to be too brazen as I rode up in there. So I shut her down before I had barely stopped and the starter kicked over.

My hypothesis (not theory) is that when you shut it down fast is when it happens. Just my observation. I have no mechanical answer as to why. :coffee:

·
Registered
114 Posts
LOL..good one :choppersm !!!

Thanks, Bass, It kinda worried me because I've had it a year and it just started it two days ago.
I have had some similiar noise's with my bike also,never been an issue yet.have over 53000 on her,yet the fan noise is what I would initally assume as the culprit.Are u still undr warranty? When I have electricl issue's I get help since I am only familiar with the basics..tho anyone can spot bare wires,n I have found a few on my vtx harness near the neck where it takes a lot of the stresses,it had shorted one my turn lamps out.
wish the wiring was better overall on the bike,seems pretty wimpy,yet what bike isnt??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts