Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
NICEST MEMBER
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
model 18417 for an 1800c. the spread of the pipes looks way too short. been on it for 2 hours no luck. put rear on first per instructions. front not even close. HELP!!!:(

·
NICEST MEMBER
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
faulty vance and hines

Just checked, the stock pipes have a center spread of 18 5/8" the faulty vance and hines have a spread of 18"... way too far off to spread them without using a torch.:mad::mad::mad:

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I seem to remember someone else having the same issue with V&H pipes on an 1800 maybe a couple years ago...They got them on the bike, but I can't remember what the fix was to get it done...:hmm2:

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I think the best solution to the problem would be to contact V&H's directly. Tell them exactly what you've done step by step and see what they have for a solution. I am sure they've handled this question many times in the past.

·
NICEST MEMBER
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah loosened heat shields, didn't move. think i got bad pipes. 5/8" different than stock aren't going to go....will call v&h monday :(

·
NICEST MEMBER
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've already asked this in another thread but, could somebody out there (with an extra set of pipes) get a measurement across the 2 pipes (obviously while their off the bike) where they enter the head so i can get some backup info.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
190 Posts
Had the same problem. Definantly need two people to do this install. Work with it a little, they will fit. Install the back and tilt the tail of the pipe up, move the front header towards the cylinder and slowly lower the tail. Should fit into place then. Just take your time. Did it by myself and took almost 3 hours. Definantly need 2 people. Good luck.

·
NICEST MEMBER
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
We worked on it with 2 people for 2 hours before we decided to inspect the pipe spread. 18" pipe spead and 18 5/8" port spread is not going to work. I put a pipe spreader on them and was only able to get .1" with 600 lbs force. i've contacted some other people and they said there pipes have a between 18 1/2" to 18 11/16". i'm going to call v&h tomorrow to ask the tolerance and let them know what i received. i know every once in a while a bad part will go out... what was the spread on your pipes?

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
We worked on it with 2 people for 2 hours before we decided to inspect the pipe spread. 18" pipe spead and 18 5/8" port spread is not going to work. I put a pipe spreader on them and was only able to get .1" with 600 lbs force. i've contacted some other people and they said there pipes have a between 18 1/2" to 18 11/16". i'm going to call v&h tomorrow to ask the tolerance and let them know what i received. i know every once in a while a bad part will go out... what was the spread on your pipes?
I know this is chancy but I think I would place them on some cardboard and stand on the lower pipe and give them a little pull apart. It's only 5/8 of an inch. I've been known to alter things to make them fit. But I'm not there to see what is really happening. I know I could bend them that much. Just a thought. Also if you installed the rear bolts you might have trouble lining up the the the pipes in the front. Keep the rear bolts loose because you don't want to have any pressure on the pipes when tightening up the header bolts to the block.

Donut/Doug:patriot:

·
NICEST MEMBER
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i'm a machinist of 30 yrs. and a mech. engineer of 10 years. no way to bend them that much without a torch or a porta power. Vance and hines agrees. and are sending me another set and taking back the faulty pipes.

:patriot:Thanks to all for your input. new pipes on their way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.