Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I went and ordered a set of gangster fenders for my S, but I gotta get em painted. I mean, I'm pretty good with a spray can, but not 100% sure on the best way to go about it. Does anyone have any recommendations on what kinda primer/paint/clear coat combinations, or techniques, or should I just try and find a paint shop somewhere. I live in rural UK so places like that are kinda hard to come by locally and I just want em painted black! I've googled a bit but nothing really seems to agree on the best approach so I thought I'd try some first-hand wisdom! TIA!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
My $.02. Rattle-can will never look as well, or hold up as well, to a professional body shop style paint job.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Rattle-can jobs can come out nice... but you have to prep well and take your time to do things right. I did my first bike a few years ago. Paint came out really nice, actually. I was surprised. Clear looked great for a year then started crackling all over. Didn't flake off or anything, it just had these crackle lines all over. I need to have my bike color done as I have swapped fenders so I'm running an orange tank and grey fenders... but I'm going with vinyl wrapping. I was quoted half as much as paint from all the body shops in the area.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I dropped my tank last year and used ColorRite.com for the factory Magenta. The rattle can kit included primer, base coat, top coat and clear coat along with some cutting cream. The color matched very well but I can see the orange peel effect if I stare at it. From a few feet away it looks perfect. I probably could have done a better job with more patience but I’m not patient and just wanted to ride it. If I add a fairing I’d use them again to match the color to the rest of the bike. But I’d try to be more patient. If I had the time.

Reactions: Dr_Cuds
1 - 4 of 4 Posts