Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike's a 2003 with 12,800 miles on it.

When you turn it on, the LCD display shows TRIPA/B/ODO readout, then shows the odometer.

Pressing the rubber button at the top of the fuel-filler assembly does nothing.

So...is this thing supposed to have a couple of Trip odometers, or is that a leftover for the 1800?

If it's supposed to have trip-meters, and the rubber button doesn't work, what are my options for repair? (Preferably with OEM) I realize there might be issues with wrecking yard parts and getting the odometer properly set for the bike. I've dealt with that with cars.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Could have been wet and it is corrosion. Takeing the dash off it not hard.
It does have a trip A and a trip B. To reset the trip meters you hold the little button in the middle in and it will reset.
Try spraying a little lube in there before you take the dash off, and go in from the bottom side.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Push the button to change the display until you get to ODOA or ODOB. Once its on the ODO you want to reset, press and hold that button for at least 5 seconds, and it will flip to Zero.

-Gonz

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, Button no-worky then. Not even slightly. Looks like I'll be using rcook's link to replace the button and cover.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, question number two. The bike's got Roadhouse Slipons, and my ears are seriously ringing after a 70 mile run...since Roadhouse is no longer in business, does anyone have a cutaway I can look at to compare them with stock mufflers? I suspect I can quiet them a little with SS wool, but I'd like to see what they're supposed to look like first.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I dont know much about the RH slipons, but most pipes have baffles in them and you can change the baffles, I make my own, and you can go to a muffler shop and they probley can make some for you to quiet it down.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ooh, I NEED a good metal project! I found the manuals online, I take it you remove the muffler, then pull the guts out from the front side?

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Okay, question number two. The bike's got Roadhouse Slipons, and my ears are seriously ringing after a 70 mile run...since Roadhouse is no longer in business, does anyone have a cutaway I can look at to compare them with stock mufflers? I suspect I can quiet them a little with SS wool, but I'd like to see what they're supposed to look like first.
Steel wool won't last very long.

Most are a perforated piece of pipe that fits inside usually held by a screw on the underside.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wonder if a muffler shop would carry the packing material...there's a Mieneke up the street. I like the way it sounds...a LOT...I just don't like the ear damage and pissing off a steady stream of folks downwind...I'm not that guy.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update...the Odometer issues I started the thread with turned out to be the switch, so right after I post, I'll be ordering a replacement...only, how do you get the old switch out? It doesn't look press fit, and I don't see anything that looks like it twists off...and I'd hate to damage the plasti-chrome. ;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the tips, guys, the replacement switch got my Odometer behaving.

Any suggestions for a cheap (free) source for a stock airbox cover? The plastichrome on mine is bubbling up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts