Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound like I am stupid but I just registered as a new forum member.I heard about this site from a customer I sold a new KIA to and he recommended me to visit.Been in the car industry for 28 years and still don't know jack about my bike.I have a 2007 vtx 1300s.Yesterday I went all day riding and pulled up in the driveway and left my ignition on.After coming out 3 hours later and tried to get bike started.I pulled the battery out and charged it and all was well.My neutral light would not come on today and would not start with kick stand down in neutral.After checking battery again and all fuses I was stumped.Finally I put the kick stand up and was in neutal and light would not come on for neutral.Pulled the clutch in and bike with stand up it started.The thing that happens is while running in neutral I try to put down kick stand down it shuts off.No neutral light still and bike runs great as usual but have no idea about this problem.Thanks,Brad in Kings Mills,ohio

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,319 Posts
I think you eliminated two of the three causes so I would concentrate on your neutral switch. There is a link to the service manual download thread in my signature. It says you should have continuity when in neutral only and if you don't replace your switch. Maybe just a loose connection. Never had such a problem so I've never been curious enough to check it out.

And Welcome to the Cafe. In the future you should post this in the 1300 or urgent help forums for better responses, but since your new we'll let it slide.....:D

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,459 Posts
it's not uncommon for us to lose the neutral light......most common cause is the connectors under the tank not being properly connected........I wouldn't worry about it.........you just learned not to leave your keys in the ignition or your battery will die.......now go out and get a battery tender and hook it up to the battery so you don't have to remove it again!

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
After reading it all, I'm thinking the neutral switch is your problem. I'd that gets fixed, you may get the light back.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,319 Posts
So what was the problem? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
I suspect the Shifter wasn't fully in it's Neutral Detent - faking out the syndrome.
That happens - shifting it standing still - into Neutral.
Zero movement from either wheel or engine while shifter is moved.

Usually a public whipping post is erected for rookie attempts.
Beer usually follows and all is forgotten.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts