Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
06 vtx1800s, straight piped, cobra fi2000, stock airbox
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just joined so I can get better help to my situation. After reading multiple threads on things that are close I have remedied other issues I've had it the past. So this is the problem now. I was riding like normal and around third gear the bike hesitates for a second then runs kind of boggy like it's not running on all cylinders and after getting on the throttle it backfires a little. The fl light comes on when this happens and stays lit until you stop and restart the bike. I changed the plugs today to no avail. The battery cables turned slightly tighter but no change, am going to do the "ground fix" as you all have mentioned. It just seems odd that it does this everytime when cruising in third. Seems awfully specific. Also I tried the ecu restart and it blinked over a hundred times so I don't think that is right. Please help I'm an everyday rider and this has got me stressed!:mad:

·
Registered
16,891 Posts
If you can't get a response here, try this site's sister site, the VTXOA. There are a couple guys over there also that are pretty good longtime 1800 guru's. Hans & Feet, Blast, and Chucks VTX_F. All I can suggest is fully charge the battery, take it to an auto parts store that will do the 100A auto, not the 20 A motorcycle, load test. It can have a failing cell or 2 and still show 12V +. CLEAN the terminals with a wire bore brush, add a little di-electric grease to the terminals, and tighten with a socket or wrench, not a screwdriver. Messing with the ECU is above my paygrade.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Ok so I just joined so I can get better help to my situation. After reading multiple threads on things that are close I have remedied other issues I've had it the past. So this is the problem now. I was riding like normal and around third gear the bike hesitates for a second then runs kind of boggy like it's not running on all cylinders and after getting on the throttle it backfires a little. The fl light comes on when this happens and stays lit until you stop and restart the bike. I changed the plugs today to no avail. The battery cables turned slightly tighter but no change, am going to do the "ground fix" as you all have mentioned. It just seems odd that it does this everytime when cruising in third. Seems awfully specific. Also I tried the ecu restart and it blinked over a hundred times so I don't think that is right. Please help I'm an everyday rider and this has got me stressed!:mad:
Ground fix and battery are your first priorities in my opinion. Ground fix solved my miss and hesitation problem. I didn't see the light that I remember. Memory isn't the best anymore.

Reactions: PaXman11
1 - 3 of 3 Posts