Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I got caught in a winter storm. On the highway, several vehicles would pass me just enough to put me in their wash. At one point the rain was blowing sideways and I had to lay across my tank to keep from being blown all over the road, I was hydroplaning regularly as it was. Right before I gor home, I had to pass two semis which completely soaked me. As I turned off the highway, the bike started sputtering. When I took the cover off the compartment for the air filter I cound water in the bottom. I made sure to blow out the air filter, and ive replaced the plugs, I put some Lucas in the tank. But it still sputtered. Yesterday evening I put some Seafoam in the tank and filled it up. I have not driven very far since then. But if the choke is off it sputters, with the choke on it runs fine. It was purring before what I call the Hell Ride. What else should I do to fix it. I've had the bike 2 weeks and love it, and it is my only transportation and I want to keep it in good condition.

·
Registered
119 Posts
A few days ago I got caught in a winter storm. On the highway, several vehicles would pass me just enough to put me in their wash. At one point the rain was blowing sideways and I had to lay across my tank to keep from being blown all over the road, I was hydroplaning regularly as it was. Right before I gor home, I had to pass two semis which completely soaked me. As I turned off the highway, the bike started sputtering. When I took the cover off the compartment for the air filter I cound water in the bottom. I made sure to blow out the air filter, and ive replaced the plugs, I put some Lucas in the tank. But it still sputtered. Yesterday evening I put some Seafoam in the tank and filled it up. I have not driven very far since then. But if the choke is off it sputters, with the choke on it runs fine. It was purring before what I call the Hell Ride. What else should I do to fix it. I've had the bike 2 weeks and love it, and it is my only transportation and I want to keep it in good condition.
That is one HELL of a ride for sure, yikes!

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Is there any evidence of water in the oil? Pull the dipstick and see if it looks clean and free of water droplets. Is the air filter dry? If an aftermarket type that gets oiled, does it need cleaned and oiled?

Reactions: Corey Mathery

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,234 Posts
Could be water got in something electrical and be needing a spritz of WD-40?

·
Registered
17,116 Posts
Or a good day baking in the sun.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there any evidence of water in the oil? Pull the dipstick and see if it looks clean and free of water droplets. Is the air filter dry? If an aftermarket type that gets oiled, does it need cleaned and oiled?

No sign of water in the oil. Could it be moisture in the coil? And of so how do I fix that? And thank you for replying.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Could be water somewhere. Let it bake in the sun and see what happens.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have used a leaf blower after washing my motorcycle, seems to speed up the drying. May work for your issue if its moisture related.

·
Registered
17,116 Posts
I have used a leaf blower after washing my motorcycle, seems to speed up the drying. May work for your issue if its moisture related.
The only problem with a blower is it might blow water into somewhere you don't want it, and then what?

·
Registered
Deplorable #2
6,739 Posts
Could have gotten moisture in the switches: left (blinkers, etc) and right (starter, etc) . Letting it bake in the sun will eventually work. If impatient (like me), use a heat gun to warm them up. I'd pull the right side cover and warm your fuse panel up.
:eek: DON'T MELT IT -- keep the heated air back a ways. No heat gun ?? "Borrow" your wife's hair dryer -- being careful ;)
Very hard to tell where all that water got in to. Probably everywhere you weren't sitting on - o_O

Reactions: Mmg1972

·
Registered
Deplorable #2
6,739 Posts
The only problem with a blower is it might blow water into somewhere you don't want it, and then what?
I hate it when that happens o_O

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Turns out where one of the wires goes to the coil was not screwed In all the way. I tightened it up and she ran great, had the deep sound in the exhaust and power when on the throttle. I drove it don the road a good ways and back and everything was great until I turned on my street... Then it started cutting out again.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
I have never heard of a "Dynojet I rake kit". Perhaps this is a real thing or perhaps you meant a Dynojet jet kit. If it is a rake kit (modified front triple tree to angle the front forks out further), then this will have no impact on engine performance. If it is a jet kit, this could definitely influence engine/carb performance. Please clarify.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have never heard of a "Dynojet I rake kit". Perhaps this is a real thing or perhaps you meant a Dynojet jet kit. If it is a rake kit (modified front triple tree to angle the front forks out further), then this will have no impact on engine performance. If it is a jet kit, this could definitely influence engine/carb performance. Please clarify.
That was supposed to be dynojet I TAKE kit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes , jet kit...haha..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts