Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! New here, I have a 2007 vtx 1300. I bought it from someone about 2 weeks ago. it was working great until today. All of a sudden there is a whine noise coming from the engine. And now sputters when I accelerate. This is my first bike. What should I look at or for?? I changed the spark plugs(NGK) cleaned the Air filter, oil and oil filter change. Gas is guzzling now down.

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
Check the battery connections. Tighten them with a wrench or socket not a screwdriver. Oddly enough, loose battery connections can cause all kinds of problems. You could have crud in the gas tank that broke loose and clogged the carb. If the gas is old, discard it, inspect the inside of the tank, and report back. If the gas is all new, tear into the carb and clean it thoroughly including all the tiny jets and ports. Inspect all the rubber parts in the carb for cracks and tears.

Lastly for now, what does "Gas is guzzling now down" mean?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dumped the gas, tighten the battery. No2 I have a whine coming from the engine after it starts?

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
What kind of whine and from where in the engine? Most people do not have a mechanic's stethoscope to help locate sounds from a vehicle/engine. However, you can sometimes substitute a length of wood dowel or even a broomstick. Take the wood and place one end against various parts of the engine. Take the other end of the wood and place your ear firmly against it. It is surprising how much of the engine operating noise you can detect in this manner and this can help to locate problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay so, this issue is only when I use my throttle there is a squeak coming from the engine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It could be:
  • an extremely rusty throttle cable
  • your cat found a cosy place on your engine
  • your hearing aid is malfunctioning
  • there's not enough motor oil in your engine
  • your piston retention springs are worn out
  • your blinker fluid needs to be replaced
  • you need a new bike

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
It’s unfortunate this is happening on your first bike. Put in the effort to get it right because this unique bike is worth it. They don’t make them like they used to. Get to know it and do the carb step by step from this site. Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts