Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
That Just Happened!
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the start of change! The Bike is apart and almost ready to be painted. At this time I want to take advantage of cleaning, adding, and fixing.

1. Paint Job with the rear fender shaved Done
2. Jet carb with FP kit (charlie hooked me up with jet numbers) DONE
3. Rim Job ( the X's rim) DONE
4. Aux power supply Done
5. Replace brake/clutch lever (Chrome) DONE
6. ISO grips DONE
7. Great debate on switching back to the stock handle bars. DONE (KEPT PRESENT BAR)
8. Cruise Control (Done)
9. Cable for Brake/Turn lights ( waiting to be installed )
10. Replace front fork oil (i messed up there, had to add that to the list, using a sticky thread for that one. thanks god for that) :banghead: Done
11. Is it possible to chrome the lower forks? or not worth it? NOT DOING IT...... OUT OF MY BUDGET
12. License plate lay down bracket made
13. Clean Chrome

I hope to get these things accomplished between this week. Any quick maintenance I could squeeze in or not do, PLease let me know. I know I am in over my head with the work and not having knowledge of this. But This site and everyone here are quick to lend me a virtual hand.

Good buy Purple/Magenta........

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Line 3: The 12 year old boy in me has to laugh on that one. The 42 year old man in me think's "I dont know enough cuss words to take on a project like that". Good Luck Take LOT'S of pitctures and share. You just may inspire someone else to jump off the ledge too.. LOL rim job........:bleh: :D

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
That is quite the list...looking forward to the pics...

·
That Just Happened!
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Day 1. Dropped off the tins at the paint shop. Told him to take his time, No rush! I was able to jet the carb and drain the forks.

FP kit
58 pilot
A/F set 1 3/4
210 main
Needle clip 4th from the blunt end (top working my way down)

The reason for #10 was because I read t o remove the front fender, you must remove one fork. Well Didn't really understand that so I began to undo the top nut on the tree. Explosion of parts in 3 different locations. Boy did I mess up. Icky black fluid on the floor and my hands after my curious mind was attempting to comprehend what I just got my self into. But I was able to move the fork up aittle to get out the front fender. YEAAAAAA. Guess Now I have to wait for the return of the front fender before I could finish that clutch side fork..... Unless you could tell me where I went wrong on the removal of the front R fender!

Time to head to school. Tomorrow is another day!

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
to remove the front fender, you must remove one fork

No need to remove either front fork...What you will need to do is turn the forks 180 deg...thus allowing the fender to "clear" the forks and come out...

·
That Just Happened!
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, I realized that I am in over my head. A week was a bad time frame. No way with school and work I am able to finish this. I spend the other half googling.

Front forks are driving me crazy. Took everything apart to potentially chrome the love forks but its way out of my budget. Rather spend half the amount and buy the chrome covers. Now the fun part is putting the whole thing back together. Got one fork put together and back on the trees but the other bushing wont go into the fork. FML.

Why is a bike so fun to place with while taking it apart? LOL. Keep in touch while I go insane and complete this.

·
Registered
706 Posts
The fork tubes polish up pretty nice, not like chrome but nice. The rims are a much larger task to polish as they appear to be a machined sand casting.

·
That Just Happened!
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the power distributer done. Followed the idea from the power distributer thread. Can't complain about how easy that was, once you man up and do it. Lol. View attachment 24317

·
That Just Happened!
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looking to get the moly paste to put back the rear tire. What do I use for the bearing on the front and rear tire?

·
There Can Only Be One
2,735 Posts
Looking to get the moly paste to put back the rear tire. What do I use for the bearing on the front and rear tire?
The bearings are sealed, so you don't need anything on them. A very light coating of the moly paste on the axles is what I do before reinstalling the wheels. Then just cleanup the excess with a paper towel.

Here's a trick the next time you have to empty your fork fluid. Loosen the fork caps, and then drop the forks from the trees. Work on each one separately, and when it's time to put the fork caps back on, since the fork is on the ground, you can turn the fork slider (upper part) to screw the cap back on. That way you won't muck up the threads when trying to get it back on and tightened.

·
That Just Happened!
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just added the highway bars. Can't wait to test them out.

Painter is still working on the tins.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts