Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my 2006 1300r for less than a week. Runs great. But put 87 octane in it for the first time (was using 89) and it has started to sputter at low rpms, which makes it hard getting off from a stop. Would turning the idle up a bit until I can run this gas out help the situation? Or do I perhaps have a more serious issue? (This is my first bike, so please bear with me)

·
Super Moderator
11,884 Posts
The fuel octane has nothing to do with the problem you are encountering. It is purely a coincidence. The bike should idle at ~950 +/- 50 rpm. This is substantially faster than the HD "lope" that some people mistakenly try to emulate. Do some searching to determine how the VTX should sound at idle. There is a video somewhere here on the Cafe that shows the sound at proper idle. Once you verify that the idle is correct, see if the problem persists and post back here with the results. Further help can be provided if necessary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fuel octane has nothing to do with the problem you are encountering. It is purely a coincidence. The bike should idle at ~950 +/- 50 rpm. This is substantially faster than the HD "lope" that some people mistakenly try to emulate. Do some searching to determine how the VTX should sound at idle. There is a video somewhere here on the Cafe that shows the sound at proper idle. Once you verify that the idle is correct, see if the problem persists and post back here with the results. Further help can be provided if necessary.
I appreciate the input! Last night when I got home after my stressful sputtering ride, I dumped some Seafoam into the tank. She’s been idling fine today, no sputtering at low RPMs. But I’m going to do what you said and see if I’m idling properly. Thanks!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. I’m getting a little more understanding. When the bike is warm - been ridden for 20 mins or more, this sputtering/hesitating issue starts to happen at low RPMs (regardless of gear). I find myself having to pull the choke out a little at every stop, but once it’s sucks itself back in, I’m back to the same issue. Engine purrs when it’s colder, struggles when warm.

·
Super Moderator
11,884 Posts
Any chance you are lugging the bike? By "lugging" I mean running at too low an rpm. These bikes should typically not be shifted to the next gear until you are at ~3000 rpm or running down the interstate at 70 mph.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any chance you are lugging the bike? By "lugging" I mean running at too low an rpm. These bikes should typically not be shifted to the next gear until you are at ~3000 rpm or running down the interstate at 70 mph.
Definitely not. It happens most severely when I’m starting in first. I have to feather the clutch to keep it from stalling until I can “throttle through” the hesitation. At higher speeds, it WILL sputter when lugging, but I am familiar enough with automatic transmissions (albeit in a car) to know when I’m in too high a gear and can adjust accordingly. If I pull the choke out a bit at a stop, I can minimize the issue off the line. But even in higher gears, I can tell the engine is riding rough - just doesn’t have the get-up it should, and the exhaust sounds much louder and deeper. I’m just learning about carburetor engines, but it seems like it is running lean (which could be a jetting issue due to the V&H pipes?).

·
Super Moderator
11,884 Posts
The pipes have almost no influence on how the bike runs. The carb is set up VERY lean from the factory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The pipes have almost no influence on how the bike runs. The carb is set up VERY lean from the factory.
I’m at a loss. I’m going to check the plugs this weekend and change them out if necessary. With as much as I’ve had to use the choke, they may be fouled. The carburetor was recently cleaned (like in the last two weeks), so checking the plugs is my next step to try and figure this out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m at a loss. I’m going to check the plugs this weekend and change them out if necessary. With as much as I’ve had to use the choke, they may be fouled. The carburetor was recently cleaned (like in the last two weeks), so checking the plugs is my next step to try and figure this out.
Not just the plugs. Make sure the plug wires are well seated on the plug. Sometimes the plug wire will seem seated when you put it on but is not unless you hear and feel a little pop/snap. The plug wires may also need replacing especially if original from 2006.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts