Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I just got 03 vtx1800c3 Got some issues. Fuel pump stopped priming. I assume it’s the pump checked all fuses. Not sur what else to check. Any help. And has anyone done a u joint on one of these bikes

·
Registered
18,417 Posts
Hey guys so I just got 03 vtx1800c3 Got some issues. Fuel pump stopped priming. I assume it’s the pump checked all fuses. Not sur what else to check. Any help. And has anyone done a u joint on one of these bikes
U joints don't normally go bad on these. I'd suspect another problem. Tell us symptoms and observations. Fuel pumps have gone bad. That year, model, is inside the tank. FPR, or fuel pressure regulators, are more frequently going bad on 02-03 models, due to age, not high miles or abuse. What is your location? Welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies. BTW, replace ALL fuses with EZ-ID or SmartGlo ones that light up when they pop or go bad. Makes finding problems so much easier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yessa leraysville pa here. Symptoms was a stall out going 25 30 mph so third gear let clutch out huge bang like something broke for real. Haven’t been able to start it again seems the selenoid has gone the guy I got off was doing a lot of roll starting down his driveway to get it going so now I’m n not running when u roll it as we did up on trailer and immediately after that Big Bang not running in n nothing should b moving except what’s hooked to wheels idk it was a guess really

·
Registered
18,417 Posts
Yessa leraysville pa here. Symptoms was a stall out going 25 30 mph so third gear let clutch out huge bang like something broke for real. Haven’t been able to start it again seems the selenoid has gone the guy I got off was doing a lot of roll starting down his driveway to get it going so now I’m n not running when u roll it as we did up on trailer and immediately after that Big Bang not running in n nothing should b moving except what’s hooked to wheels idk it was a guess really
Geez, man. Hope you can get it fixed. I'm at a loss on this one. Maybe one of our long-time guru's here can help. You're about 4 hrs. ENE of me, I see a little ways from Towanda.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I got it to start lol. Found prob on fuel pump n start on but now starter won’t disengage turn key off bike keeps running n same w kill switch. Starter just keeps staying engaged. Not to sur. What the hell is going on

·
Registered
18,417 Posts
I got this one: You need a new battery, because a battery with a less than strong group of cells will show 12V, but the weaker amps from a bad cell or 2 will cause the starter contacts to weld together. You might be able to breal them apart by rapping the solenoid with a hammer handle or big screwdriver handle, not the business end! You will need a new battery, and need to replace the solenoid too to keep from a repeat performance. Don't cheap out on a new battery. My advice is stick to a YUASA brand.

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
It is NOT the starter. It is the solenoid. Your solenoid is welded shut. This can happen for a variety of reasons but most often it is caused by a weak battery. To solve the problem you first have to either break loose the welded solenoid or replace the solenoid. Start by trying to break it loose by tapping on the solenoid with successively larger hammers or chunks of wood. If you can break it loose, you are all set. If you cannot, you will need to replace the solenoid. Then get the battery tested. To do this, remove the battery from the bike, fully charge it, take it to any chain auto parts store, and have them conduct a 100 amp load test on the battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is NOT the starter. It is the solenoid. Your solenoid is welded shut. This can happen for a variety of reasons but most often it is caused by a weak battery. To solve the problem you first have to either break loose the welded solenoid or replace the solenoid. Start by trying to break it loose by tapping on the solenoid with successively larger hammers or chunks of wood. If you can break it loose, you are all set. If you cannot, you will need to replace the solenoid. Then get the battery tested. To do this, remove the battery from the bike, fully charge it, take it to any chain auto parts store, and have them conduct a 100 amp load test on the battery.
Awesome thanks bro
both hammer and battery charge seems to taken care of that awesome bud thanks

·
Registered
18,417 Posts
You're welcome.

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
Describe the vibration more thoroughly. Does it occur when the bike is revved but in neutral? Does it occur when you are going certain speeds? Does it occur or disappear when you accelerate or decelerate? Does it occur when you are going 60 mph and pull in the clutch or shift into neutral? Is it a steering wobble?

The idea of the above is to determine if the source is engine, transmission, clutch, wheels/tires, or something else.

Some common causes of vibration/wobble are loose steering stem bearing and unbalanced tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it’s not at all slow speeds or let off doing 60. Doesn’t do it when u let off Or pull in clutch Vibration is when it accelerates seems like it’s at more rear end ish No wobble from tires I know that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So it’s not at all slow speeds or let off doing 60. Doesn’t do it when u let off Or pull in clutch Vibration is when it accelerates seems like it’s at more rear end ish No wobble from tires I know that.

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
How can you be certain there is no wobble from the tires?

·
Registered
886 Posts
just a shot in left field but it only vabrates in higher gears??? Is it possible you are shifting into gear to soon, meaning to slow for the gear. if so its called lugging the engine if I get into 4th or 5th to early my 1800 will have a rough feel and vibrate a bit until i get to a proper speed. Just a thought

1 - 15 of 15 Posts