Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
My other bike is a Turbo Busa
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going in for a hho cleaning later this week, I know that Seafoam and Techron wont do anything for the copious amount
of carbon sitting on top of my pistons and inside my combustion chamber. I wonder if it will lower my compression ratio or
increase it. I've heard claims of both and just don't understand the randomness of it all.

2006 VTX 1300 with just a hair under 20k miles. If everything goes well I'm going to do it every 20k miles.

I'm not dissing Seafoam and Techron, they may help clean the carbs but when i pull a carb apart that's been run with
a lot of snake oil it still needs a good Ultrasonic and hand clean. My two cents

Has anyone done hho carbon cleaning and was it beneficial ?

·
Registered
16,598 Posts
No help here about that procedure, but experience with car engines, when you reduce the volume (cc's) of the combustion chamber, either by shaving the heads, using a thinner head gasket, or having junk built up on the pistons themselves, it serves to RAISE the combustion ratio.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
NO NEED for HHO carbon....

another old Wise Tail....

my VTX1800 has 92,500 miles I can see down the spark plug hole... piston top is almost shiny gray...

you getting Piston KNOCK???????.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
NO NEED for HHO carbon....

another old Wise Tail....

my VTX1800 has 92,500 miles I can see down the spark plug hole... piston top is almost shiny gray...

you getting Piston KNOCK???????.
No the bike came from New Joisy and I think the previous owner ran the Choke like a Jersey madman. I put the piston on tdc and stick in a small screwdriver and barely touched the top of the piston. A mound of carbon was on the end of the screwdriver blade, with a flashlight the piston looks likes its covered in black tar

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i pulled the choke cable out and put in a hard spring. No one will be able to use a choke on my bike again. After I rebuilt the carb last week you don't even need to give it some throttle. You just press the start button and bam she starts right up.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,517 Posts
Yeah i pulled the choke cable out and put in a hard spring. No one will be able to use a choke on my bike again. After I rebuilt the carb last week you don't even need to give it some throttle. You just press the start button and bam she starts right up.
That's how it should be. :)
Not had a enricher cable for years.

Seafoam thru air intake works on cars. Not sure if that would work on a bike.

·
Registered
602 Posts
My 1800 is the first injected bike I've had. Does the 1300 really not need a choke? I've had bikes that started fine warm without a choke, but always used it cold.

Interesting.

·
Registered
16,598 Posts
Be careful of aftermarket cleaners on the 1800. They can ruin the wax valve if sprayed into the air intake. Fuel issues are best delivered via the tank/ FI system.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
584 Posts
My 1800 is the first injected bike I've had. Does the 1300 really not need a choke? I've had bikes that started fine warm without a choke, but always used it cold.

Interesting.
My bike also has the enricher (choke) removed. I removed it after I had the bike dyno tuned, and I accidentally broke the plastic nut that holds it in place. My options were to replace (added cost) or remove.

I opted to remove. I replaced the spring with an ACE hardware spring (bring the spring with you) that is much stiffer, and closed it all off.

In both the summer and winter I do need to give it throttle to warm up a bit (much less in summer). But if I start riding, before I leave my neighborhood it is all warmed up. I can't remember the last time it stalled during warm up.

I also have a throttle lock, that I use in the winter to keep the rpms up to slightly higher than idle. I do this until idle is settled (it speeds up once warmed).

So, that is a long way of say, yes, I do not need the enricher anymore. It does require a little throttle to warm it up, but will start without throttle every time.

Reactions: 19KtoVTX and IndyX

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts
The choke on the VTX1300 is not needed IF you have rejetted the carb to richen the mixture across the board. This is best done with a Factory Pro jet kit and the instructions for carb tuning found on this site. If you plan to change pipes and air intake, it is best to do those before tuning the carb otherwise you will just have to tune again after you make the pipe/air intake changes.

Once the carb is rejetted, you can either remove the choke knob and cable completely as described or just leave them in place and not use them. I removed them and put a harley chrome cowbell horn cover in that location with a loud horn behind it.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,517 Posts
You don't need it even without a tune. Couple cranks of throttle is all the fuel you need. I was doing that before mine was later carb tuned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts