Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

High-Mileage VTX riders

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  PaXman11 
#1 ·
Bought an '05 with 10.5k on it in September '10, and I'm pushing 17k now in May '11. To those of you with 60k, 80k, even 100k+ miles, what have you noticed starts to go first? This bike is and will be my DD for the foreseeable future, year-round, and I want to anticipate repairs and issues before they happen. I'm anal about oil and maintenance but eventually stuff just starts to go...what do I have to look forward to?

:choppersm

(also, I added a sig pic a week ago or so and it still isn't showing up...what gives?)

#2 ·
Every tire change you need to check the flange bearings I have gone through 3 sets now and am just over 70,500 miles.
Did the steering bearings with all balls 1800 roller type at 10,000 had to do battery at around 60,000

That is it other than normal things like brake fluid change, fork flush and oil change 2 times now coolant every 2 years

lots of rear tires till I went darkside

You are due for the valve adjust and an 05 should have all fluids changed this year.
just look at the maint for 24,000 or every 2 years and do them all.

#3 ·
Already done stem bearings and valves (bout 2k ago), but I haven't flushed coolant, brakes or forks. Shoulda done that when I bought it :nono:

The tapered bearings didn't solve my wobbling issue though...I think my front tire is cupping though because of the dumba** that mounted the front tire last (before I bought it, glad I caught it) boogered it all up, lucky he didn't bend the forks and hoping my wheel/disc isn't warped. Hopefully when I'm due for a new front that'll work itself out.

what am I looking for in the flange bearings? haven't pulled the rear off yet either

#4 ·
on the hub of the rear drive it is spline there are 2 bearings in it that go bad you can rotate with finger pressure and fee the roughness.

run your tire psi at 38 to 40 lbs
you should align the forks and wheel too manual has a good how to mount correct.
Forks need to come off for a good cleaning and oil replacement, if it still has stock springs you may opt to go to the progressives they give a bit firmer ride but don't bottom out as quick.

I have never had to change a wheel bearing yet so they hold up very well

#5 ·
Excellent, thank you for the info. I was gonna preload the springs when I did pull the forks but I might as well do it right. Already got progressives on the rear anyway

#7 ·
Since you revived an older thread (nothing wrong with that), I'll just add that over on the VTXOA, member Hans & Feet just turned over 200K on the same bike!

Reactions: Silver F
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.