Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Although I have no reference to the threads I have read, there are members on this site or the VTXOA that are boasting 50-60K. They are stating no diminished performance from new. Yes many tires, oil changes and clutch rebuilds, yet the same motor. This is all second hand, I'm sure the real owners will stand up to tell their stories.:choppersm

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Theres an old guy that lives in my town that has a 73 CB750four that he bought new. over 150k and still rides it occasionally. He says he's never done anything to it other than regular maintenence.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Ive personally seen multiple VTX's (1300's, sorry 1800 guys, aint seen none of yours) with over 100k. Most Ive seen was 136k... and still running strong

-Gonz

·
Registered
456 Posts
I was talking to Stump and he said they arent even broken in until they hit 50k, im at 35k.
I'd have to agree with him! At a tad under 30K mine still starts and runs and rides like it did the day I bought it.
If someone is waiting for their 1300 to wear out before they replace it, they may get to wait a while!

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
With liquid cooling and today's modern machining techniques, with proper maintainance, there's no reason a VTX engine won't easily hit 100,000+ miles...These ain't the old air-cooled bikes of the 1970's...Think about all the used Honda cars on the lots with 80,000+ miles on them, but still run like a brand new car...:hmm2:

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
my plan is to ride it till it dies..... I guess I'm going to be the last person on the VTXCafe, I'll be posting questions to myself.

·
Chrome Ho
2,037 Posts
I'd have to agree with him! At a tad under 30K mine still starts and runs and rides like it did the day I bought it.
If someone is waiting for their 1300 to wear out before they replace it, they may get to wait a while!

If you put that 30k on seeing Alaska Im damn jealous!

·
Registered
855 Posts
My '03 Shadow 750 has over 60,000 miles on it and she runs like a new one. My dads '85 Shadow 700 has over 100,000 (never rebuilt) and runs better than my Shadow!
I've only got about 21,000 on my X, but I expect it'll last me a looooooooong time.

·
Darksider
2,849 Posts
Mine has 55k, other than tires, brakes, oil and a screw up on a fork seal install it's been perfect. Even better after i got the carb tuned just right and the DS out back. :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you put that 30k on seeing Alaska Im damn jealous!
I had put the first 11K on it when we decided to move back to Alaska from the Boise area. It's now one tank short of the 30K mark and all but that first 11K were here in South Central Alaska, with a few trips north...

And No, I didn't get to ride it back up here, we left Boise in late October 2006 and there was plenty of snow on the road once we hit the mountains in Canada and most of Alaska.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
my plan is to ride it till it dies..... I guess I'm going to be the last person on the VTXCafe, I'll be posting questions to myself.
Oh, I'll be here with ya.. I'm just curious when it will finally need a new engine (and I will put a second engine in it when this first one wears out!)

My 1992 Shadow VT1100C Spirit had 59k trouble-free miles on it and it still started every single time you pushed the button.. nothing but maintenance done to it..

I've always been a fan of Honda's Reliability. I didn't buy the bike for its resale value, which in all honesty, I don't understand why they don't resell for a higher price when HD's cost more, are much less reliable, and they resell incredibly.. I just don't get it.

-Gonz

·
There Can Only Be One
2,653 Posts
Yesterday was my bike's 7th birthday and today I rolled over 81K miles on a Toys for Tots Run. She's on the original battery, original clutch & runs like a champ. Nothing but normal maintenance has been done, other than getting the starter switch replaced under warranty several years ago.

I'll be keeping the Cafe, OA & Texas boards going as long as I can! :D

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Yesterday was my bike's 7th birthday and today I rolled over 81K miles on a Toys for Tots Run. She's on the original battery, original clutch & runs like a champ. Nothing but normal maintenance has been done, other than getting the starter switch replaced under warranty several years ago.

I'll be keeping the Cafe, OA & Texas boards going as long as I can! :D
There 'ya go!!!..And it's 100% totally stock......Well kinda sorta....:D :mosh: :cool:

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
I have 19,000 on mine and only problem to date is to replace the front brake electrical switch which my dealer gave me on warranty. Wishing all a nice day.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I feel good about all the X-tra money I'm puttin in this bike. I've never had a better bike, and I've had a bunch. Feel the same way about my girlfriend! :bleh:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts