Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Kansas VTX Riders
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally finished the hitch 'cause the wife had just too many things to carry. She took pics of one she saw and I tried to copy it. I found a link here for one at about $300 but I made mine for about $60. It helps to have a welder. It took a little time with wood paneling to get the dimentions, then to my next door neighbor's fab shop to cut the steel. Their labor was the highest cost of the project. The top part is 12 1/2. in and the lower part is 26 in. with an angle of 50 deg. The width is 10 1/2 in. just wider than the license plate. Took a 300 mi. trip in Oct. and the hitch and trailer worked perfect. Of course the X ran perfect also. 2 on the bike + bags + trailer full of camping gear and it still ran like there was no weight at all. View attachment 20053

View attachment 20054

View attachment 20056

View attachment 20057

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Nice setup!! Glad it worked out for you. I'm planning on buying a trailer for my X within the next year and have no clue what I'm going to do for a hitch. I'm not skilled enough to make my own and hate to pay 3-4 hundred for one.

·
Floor Board Scraper
622 Posts
Nice work. I plan on making one similar to your design during the snow season. Mounting point will be the same, but I will cut from a 1/4" sheet and have a curved arm that follows the lines of the rear fender. The receiver will be beneath the rear fender.

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
I was curious if you had any sway while turning with long lengths of stock to the ball, but reread your post and you stated that it handled great. It looks good and I know that you are happy with the results. Great job and wishing you well.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
STONR Yours will probably look better than mine.
There's nothing wrong with the looks of yours, and it sounds like it worked perfect hauling your trailer and with saddle bags you'd only be able to see the lower section anyway. I looked into making one a while back and found some pics online, this is probably similar to what he's thinking with more rounded edges.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
nice job!

·
a big trunk for my junk
268 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the looks of yours, and it sounds like it worked perfect hauling your trailer and with saddle bags you'd only be able to see the lower section anyway. I looked into making one a while back and found some pics online, this is probably similar to what he's thinking with more rounded edges.

That is the hitch I have on my bike. Works well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts