Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Cafe Founder & VTX lover
9,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We make jerky every once in a while and since our son is in the Navy we make a few pounds once in a while and send it to him...just made 5 pounds.

Anyway, here is how I make ours and man is it amazing, I can't imagine it any better.

First, you need a food dehydrator, they are cheap and easy to find...Walmart & Target have them or you can order one...

http://www.nesco.com/category_449f7f01f1ea/subcategory_39febe0b9343/session_adfc520603a6/

Next order some jerky mix from Nesco. I have them all and they all are good, the hot and spicy is and it is GOOD!!!!!

http://www.nesco.com/category_12e291b19e72/session_adfc520603a6/

Next, get some beef and go at it. I get London broils when they have them buy one get one free and make it then or any other beef when it's on sale. Slice the beef in thin slices, mix and soak for 12-24 hours and then dehydrate. This makes the best jerky money can buy and when a sea I bet it's PERFECT!

If you have a child or family member in the military I suggest you do this for them and you, it's really rewarding to get the feedback on how much their shipmates (or friends) enjoyed it.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
9,050 Posts
We haven't made any in years, but remember making a marinade with salt, pepper, brown sugar, and liquid smoke. I think we used beef spare ribs and cut it a little on the thick side. I know it never lasted long.

·
Chrome Ho
2,037 Posts
I used to do some deer jerky. Found an old refridgerator cut the bottom out of it, put a small stove pipe in. soaked the meat in the 7 secret herbs and spices ( lol ) salted and hot peppered it and laid it on the racks then built a small fire in the bottom of the fridge with hickory and let it smolder. all day event but makes some dern good eatin.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hey Ray, what's the beer of choice with that jerky?

·
Pie liker/Snow Hater
9,911 Posts
I took a few pounds into Canada with me on my last trip. Used steak seasoning with hamburger and mixed it all together. Dry season that you would find in the spice/season section at the store. We have a tool that you pack the meat in (it looks like an icing dispenser for frosting a cake) and then you squirt it out into strips and put it in the dehydrator. Makes for some good eating. :D Had a lot of good comments from the other guys on the trip. They ate it all and wanted more. Must of been OK.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
I do. I make some of the best ever. I am not kidding. I got a receipe out of a biker magazine many years ago and it is a great one. I use to use an old oven with a standing pilot light and place it on racks and leave it for 24+ hours. Now we don't have standing pilot light any more so I have to get creative.

I will say that everyone that has ever bragged to me about their jerky and then tried mine has always asked for the receipe. I will see if I can dig it out and post it.

·
Liberal Peace-Lover
1,064 Posts
I've done venison, beef, and antelope jerky so far. Always comes out good. I like to cut thick as well, nothing is as satisfying as a nice, meaty piece of jerky (anyone who thinks beef jerky should be thin and dry as hell (Texans, see Robertson's...) is tasteless IMHO. :) My own recipe is a little by ear, basically- lots of liquid smoke and worchestershire sauce, and lots of cayenne pepper flakes. Sometimes a little beer. Marinade for 24 hours after slicing and then cure in a 130-140 degree side-box smoker (if available) or oven.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hum...right now? Sierra Nevada Torpedo....but I have Pliny the Elder, Blind Pig, Black Butte Porter which I picked up in California 2 weeks ago just waiting. We are having a beer tasting next week for UFC 106 with a few friends and it's hard to save these. :D
Sounds like some good ones. I'm partial to the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but I am a hophead too.

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
Sounds like some good ones. I'm partial to the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but I am a hophead too.
Hoppy beers give me hiccups.

I prefer the dark smoky stouts like Guinness Draught, or oatmeal stouts. Great with jerky!
I don't care for those sweet imperial stouts. For other times, a good lager is perfect. Lagers also go well with a fine jerky.

·
Senior Member - 99%er
646 Posts
Man, after reading this thread, I am really hungry for some jerky. I just hope that I can get a couple deer this weekend so I can make it.
Just ride your bike. Some deer are sure to jump out in front. This time of year. BTW wife makes jerky also.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Oh yea...I dehydrate everything! I love making jerkey and try all different meats and marinades. Good stuff!!!

·
Old Rider, newer VTX
185 Posts
A buddy uses a wet marinade and dehydrator for his jerky and it's pretty tasty.

I use a dry seasoning from High Mountain and then smoke the jerky on my large cooker. Mine has to be refrigerated, but never seems to last long enough to go bad.

Lots of ways to season and dry the meat and like others have said, beef, elk, deer, etc. all make fantastic jerky.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Ok, I found the recipe for my Beef Jerky. I got this out of a old Biker Magazine back in the early 70's and it has served me well. You can alter it to taste by adding more pepper or whatever but try it this way first. It is really great stuff.

We use London Broil because like Ray says, you can get them on sale cheap and it is a good thickness. When cutting into strips you get the best consistancy if the meat is very cold or almost thawed. It doesn't let the meat distort as you slice. So on to the recipe.

Bikers Beef Jerky (really, that is the name):

1 1/2lbs beef trimmed and thinly sliced. This also works with Venison and other game meats.
1/4 cup Worchestershire sauce.
1/4 cup Soy sauce.
1 Tsp liquid smoke.
1 Tsp salt.
1/2 Tsp pepper.
1 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder.
1 Tsp Onion Powder.

Mix liquids & seasonings, and meat and stir or shake.
Let sit over night and cook slowely.

I have never used a Dehydrator to make this so I can't say how that comes out. What we do is use the oven. set the oven as low as it will go, we even prop the door open a crack with a wooden spoon handle as you want to dry it and cook it at the same time. It is NOT just burned meat and depending on how long you leave it in will determine how well done it is. We put it in after dinner or so and leve it in over night. Some peices are ready to take out and some need a little longer.

We use wire racks that are about 1/4" between wire or cris-cross pattern. If you try this recipe post up how it comes out.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts