Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have been making jerky now for the last 4 years. I go to BJ's or Costco's and buy a 5 pound top round roast and use a meat slicer to cut it 1/4" thick. Then I use the Hi Mountain jerky seasoning from Bass Pro Shops (Cabela's sells it too). You don't even need a dehydrator, it can be made right in the oven(door cracked open). The jerky is the best jerky I have ever had. Since then, I never buy store jerky that you get in the convenience marts. There is no going back once you start.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I just have the meat dept slice it at a #6 on their slicer, they don't charge any extra to do that, then it's all ready to go!!!!!
I also go to the natural food market and get fresh 80,000 heat cayenne pepper to mix into the marinade .... I don't mess with that wimpy 20,000 and 40,000 heat pepper

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
I just have the meat dept slice it at a #6 on their slicer, they don't charge any extra to do that, then it's all ready to go!!!!!
I also go to the natural food market and get fresh 80,000 heat cayenne pepper to mix into the marinade .... I don't mess with that wimpy 20,000 and 40,000 heat pepper

Dude, why not just MACE it?

·
Registered
450 Posts
OK, I really enjoy beef jerky but it has always been store bought. I am going to go out soon and buy a dehydrator and put this to the test. I figure I could use the dehydrator for some other things as well.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
OK, I really enjoy beef jerky but it has always been store bought. I am going to go out soon and buy a dehydrator and put this to the test. I figure I could use the dehydrator for some other things as well.
Harbor Freight use to sell Dehydrators cheap. Check them out and see if they still offer them.

·
Cafe Founder & VTX lover
9,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Store bought (with all the preservatives) is no where close to home made jerky. Plus, you can make POUND at home for what you spend on ounces at the store.

·
BIG AL
298 Posts
:bleh:Hey Ray how about next time you have some I will like to send some to my son in IRAQ he loves this stuff i will pay you for of course AL

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I use the jerky kit from Bass Pro Shops (prefer the hickory smoke flavor) season and cure per the recipe and then run a toothpick thru the end of the strip and then hang it in the oven on the lowest setting for 4-6 hours (don't forget the drip pan!). I usually use deer meat but I made the mistake of making some with turkey once, 6 pounds lasted about an hour after it came out of the oven. I don't use a dehydrator coz I like meat cooked!

·
Dapper Dave
2,805 Posts
I like to use the tri-tips from Costco, really lean and works great for jerky. I tend to make jerky using red and green chili and it can be quite hot. Yum!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Stay away from Nesco jerky seasoning it has MSG's in it. I use Eastmans Outdoors Jerky Cure Mesquite flavor. I cut the meat and then I wash it in a big bowl for about 20 minutes to get all the blood out of the meat. By doing that it makes the jerky last longer and not go bad. I add hot sause and black pepper. Put it on the dehydrator for 6 to 12 hours.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We have made jerky for years using dehydrator and usually nesco dry mix with a few "extra ingredients". We use vension and the finished product doesn't need to be refridgerated like a lot of jerky. I grind the vension and use a jerky shooter to squeeze out the strips, kind of like a giant caulking gun. We send most to my son who shares with his buddies of course, while at West Point.

·
Cafe Founder & VTX lover
9,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I would bet my 4 year old jerky is better than what you can buy in the store. :D I bought 6 pounds of London broil for $3 a pound...have a batch of Cajun, a batch of cracked pepper, and a batch of pepper and garlic. If you read this and like jerky and don't try it you are crazy.....lol.

·
Super Moderator
9,936 Posts
We have the identical dehydrator and make 1-2 batches a week. We usually use top round not London broil. We experiment a lot on the marinade. We will bring some on the W. Virginia ride like we did last year (where we got at least one Cafe member addicted - we will not be naming names but he is from Florida and is a Detroit Tigers fan.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
We have the identical dehydrator and make 1-2 batches a week. We usually use top round not London broil. We experiment a lot on the marinade. We will bring some on the W. Virginia ride like we did last year (where we got at least one Cafe member addicted - we will not be naming names but he is from Florida and is a Detroit Tigers fan.

G'day,

Vinish
bring me about 3 pounds...i love jerky :icon_mrgr

21 - 40 of 63 Posts