Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Iowa City. Don's Honda in Iowa City is a very trustworthy dealer in my opinion, almost like a mom & pop shop. But whatever you do don't go to McGrath Powersports in Cedar Rapids to get any work done. My bike needed to be repainted because of some vandalism and McGraths estimate was over $8000, they must be on crack. I always change my own oil, but a friend of mine had his changed there and they charged him $80.

·
Registered
312 Posts
$8000 for a paint job or $800? For 8K they must be inhaling their own fumes in the paint shop :confused:

The dealer where I bought my VTX charges more for an oil change. $40 for parts and 1 hour labor at $100 bucks x hr. $140 bucks! :spank:

But you know what? I thank the dealers for making us learn how to work on our own bikes :D

$8000?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Beefybeefo and I were in Iowa City for school at The University of Iowa for a little over 4 years, we graduated in 2008. I know early on Beefy had his sport bike there and dealt with a few dealers. One dropped his bike doing an oil change I believe. I'm sure he will chime in when he sees this thread.

Go Hawkeyes!!! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All it needed was a paint job, but when i got the estimate it showed that they wanted to replace the Tank, Fenders , Cylinders & Frame, they said they didn't like to paint but instead preferred replacing with factory painted parts :harder:. So I decided to pay a guy $700 to paint the tin's and I put a Kury chrome engine cover kit on.

·
Gecko?
5,411 Posts
Yep...good 'ole Don's Honda in Iowa City. The same dealer that dropped my sportbike off of a raised lift. I heard it happen and they didn't tell me for at least 20 minutes. Probably trying to figure out if they could cover it up or not. This was with there 20 year "veteran" tech. F'ing morons...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts