Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This supposedly goes for all the VT1300's as well (Fury, Interstate, et al). They told me it's because the new engine's parameters are completely different than 07's and earlier.

1 - So what does "parameters" mean?

And

2 - Just what oil (regular AND synthetic) should I/we be using?

Frankly, all I want to know is what is the best oil and the best 'inexpensive' oil filter I can put in/on my 2009 VTX 1300C?

Is that really too much to ask rather than keep getting all this run around from everyone and every dealer and every website that don't want to get pinned down or just seem to want to sell THEIR secret numbered oil and filter.

Sheese!

Some Yamaha mechanic that owns an 1800 told me this morning on the phone that it's no secret that the Honda OEM Filter #15410-MFJ-D-01 is exactly the SAME filter that FRAM sells as the #PH6017A, only cheaper.

How are we supposed to know things like that?!! :banghead:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oil Brand

:D We've got 4 hondas and use amsoil in them.... it's expensive, but our bikes seem to run smoother on it. lol that's my 2 cents worth

I added a ps below... filters we use are Fram and K&N... both work well

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
In answer to the question, how are you supposed to know about Honda using a common Fram filter, in a nutshell, you're not. Companies market and sell OEM parts for a reason, to make a profit. They are not gonna give this info to the buying public, other wise it would be in your manual.

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Soooo...

If Glock-45 and I just went out and got Amsoil 10W-30 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle oil and a FRAM #PH6017A oil filter we'd be good to go...

...no worries? :hmm2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
We've used Fram and K&N oil filters and they work fine

being from the old school.... I always thought oil weight was determined by the type of weather..... colder, hotter.... did I miss something over the years????

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
being from the old school.... I always thought oil weight was determined by the type of weather..... colder, hotter.... did I miss something over the years????
I don't know...it rarely gets terribly COLD here, and 10W-30 is what they say Honda tells the parts and service guys they have to use on the 08-09 VTX's and all the new VT1300 series.

Maybe it's cuz the Yankees, Farmers and Cowboys have to freeze dry their bikes all winter anyway, so it doesn't really matter... :hmm2:

We've used Fram and K&N oil filters and they work fine
Are the item ID #'s I mentioned for the Amsoil and Fram filter the ones YOU use, then?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Soooo...

If Glock-45 and I just went out and got Amsoil 10W-30 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle oil and a FRAM #PH6017A oil filter we'd be good to go...

That will work. But.. be advised, Amsoil is not cheap stuff.
Have fun with changing your oil!

·
Favorite Bike - V65 Magna
1,437 Posts
You can learn a lot about motorcycle oil at this web site:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

That web site also has a lot of info on oil filters, including the OEM stuff:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters

There are other pages on that site on the subjects of oil and filters including a very good filter substitution chart.

And, the site has some very good pointers to other experts on the subject. More reading than you have time for.

By the way, best and inexpensive seldom go together but we do want to avoid wasting money.

I use Pure One oil filters and Japanese Automotive Standards Organization (JASO) MA compliant synthetic oil.

Geezer

·
9,160 Posts
Soooo...

The answer is YES. :eek:

But, with the top of the line Amsoil I'd go with a Purolator PureOne filter #PL14612. About 6 to 8 dollars at your local parts store. That's the combo I run. Best protection you can get . . . . IMO.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Puralator advises against the pure one for bikes. According to them the baypass bvalve is too stiff to be actuated by a bike oil pump. As far as I can tell this is only going to be a factor if your filter gets cloged to the point where the bypasws becomes necessary. As far as the Fram I hace a cut up Honda filter and will post a pic of it. If anyone has a Fram to lcut apart we can compare. I am currently using Napa golds in both my Kawi and the X. These are Wix filters. I will cut one of these apart when I do my next oil change to commpare against both the StockHonda and the Stock Kawi filter.
Amsoil is the best, hands down. I am using Valvoline MC 4 stroke as it tests out well and is cheap. I will go to Rotella T5 next change as I can buy it in bulk and use it for diesel apps as well. As for the 10W-30 instead of 10w-40 the owners manual have a chart for what Honda recommends.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
And just where did you get that info. Sounds like some dealer crap. Perhaps if someone could find that service bulletin I would be less skeptical.

This supposedly goes for all the VT1300's as well (Fury, Interstate, et al). They told me it's because the new engine's parameters are completely different than 07's and earlier.

1 - So what does "parameters" mean?

And

2 - Just what oil (regular AND synthetic) should I/we be using?

Frankly, all I want to know is what is the best oil and the best 'inexpensive' oil filter I can put in/on my 2009 VTX 1300C?

Is that really too much to ask rather than keep getting all this run around from everyone and every dealer and every website that don't want to get pinned down or just seem to want to sell THEIR secret numbered oil and filter.

Sheese!

Some Yamaha mechanic that owns an 1800 told me this morning on the phone that it's no secret that the Honda OEM Filter #15410-MFJ-D-01 is exactly the SAME filter that FRAM sells as the #PH6017A, only cheaper.

How are we supposed to know things like that?!! :banghead:

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Puralator advises against the pure one for bikes. .
Aw C'mon man!!! The "Bubba with a Hacksaw" page refered to earlier clearly states that Purolater knows nothing about what filter should go on a MC!!!!

Purolater simply can not be trusted, because Bubba knows best!!!!

:rolleyes:

(One thing IS for sure,,,Bubba don't know shnit about flow rate!!!!) :spank:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
i believe honda changed the recommondation from 10-40 to 10-30wt.is to sell more oil.there is no difference in motor's.they did change the main jet 03-07 is 195 and 08-09 is 190.that is probaly due to the exhaust.i use shell rottella(blue jug) synthentic from walmart at 19.00 a gallon and walmart filter ST6607 at 2.67 and change every 3000 miles at that price.always have clean oil then.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I read it somewhere that fram has a cardboard endcap in their filter, can't remember where i read that but may want to look into that.... :hmm2:

I use wix filters and Rotella oil in my NEO with no problems at all.:choppersm

1 - 20 of 42 Posts