Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just received my Hondaline lightbar and need to know how I should install the lightbar without the on/off switch so that the lights will stay on all the time except when starting the bike as the headlight does.

Also want to confirm that a single cut of the blue/white striped wire in the headlight bucket will keep the lighbar lights on when hi beam switch is on.

Do I need to remove the windshield to install the lightbar?

All advices, fixes, recommendations, adjustments, etc...welcome!

Thanks in advance & Merry Christmas to all! :patriot:

·
Relocation Engineer
1,520 Posts
Look up the Aux Fuse Panel mod, in the 1300 section. I did exactly what you want to do and wired it to the panel. OP was Lazydog. The panel is controlled by a relay to shut down with the key and cut out with the starter button. :patriot:

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Not sure, but I don't think cutting the Blue/White wire is what you want to do.
I have mine wired into Jeff's aux fuse block mod also. The Blue/White wire is what I ran to the relay to trigger it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just received my Hondaline lightbar and need to know how I should install the lightbar without the on/off switch so that the lights will stay on all the time except when starting the bike as the headlight does.

Also want to confirm that a single cut of the blue/white striped wire in the headlight bucket will keep the lighbar lights on when hi beam switch is on.

Do I need to remove the windshield to install the lightbar?

All advices, fixes, recommendations, adjustments, etc...welcome!

Thanks in advance & Merry Christmas to all! :patriot:
I intstalled mine with the on/off switch. I just leave it on all the time but it nice to have the option to turn it off if I ever want to. Like the headlight, the lightbar only comes on when the ignition is on.

I tried to figure out which wire to cut to keep the lightbar on with the high beam but I wasn't 100 percent sure so I did not do it.

No, you do not need to remove the windshield - if you have the Hondaline which I assume you do since you have a 1300T.

Just read the instructions and carefully follow each step and you should have no problem with the install. It took me about two and half hours to do it.

Paul

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I have a 1300T and the proper wiring of the lightbar will turn them off when the highbeam is on.
When you go for annual inspections, they need to go off when the high beam is turned on, so....
I put an all weather push on, push off switch in line. Most of the year, it is off (circuit broken) thus the hondaline lightbar and my high beam is on at the same time.
I also have a modulator on my headlight thus during the day time, that is working and the lightbar is on steady. When I take it in for the inspection, I push the button, let them inspect then as I mount out to head home, I push the button again so all lights are on.

·
Relocation Engineer
1,520 Posts
I have a 1300T and the proper wiring of the lightbar will turn them off when the highbeam is on.
When you go for annual inspections, they need to go off when the high beam is turned on, so....
I put an all weather push on, push off switch in line. Most of the year, it is off (circuit broken) thus the hondaline lightbar and my high beam is on at the same time.
I also have a modulator on my headlight thus during the day time, that is working and the lightbar is on steady. When I take it in for the inspection, I push the button, let them inspect then as I mount out to head home, I push the button again so all lights are on.
Very nice solution for the inspection problem

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great way & idea to "fix" your issue to keep your lightbar lights on while on hi beam since you need them to turn off during inspection when you use the hi beam switch. I'm sure this will help someone else that is the same predicament as you are with annual inspections; thanks for posting this info.

I am fortunate that I don't have to go thru inspections and therefore I'm in need for the "fix" to keep my lightbar lights on while the hi beam switch is on since I too have a headlight modulator.

Read on a previous thread that all you would need to do is cut the blue/white striped wire in the headlight bucket, therefore need a verification or the correct "fix" to keep my lightbar lights on when hi beam switch is in use. :patriot:

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Read on a previous thread that all you would need to do is cut the blue/white striped wire in the headlight bucket, therefore need a verification or the correct "fix" to keep my lightbar lights on when hi beam switch is in use. :patriot:
If you look at the schematic the Blue/White wire is what feeds the Hi/Lo switch that in turn feed the headlight. It is momentarily interrupted when the starter switch is pushed, but re-energized when the switch is released.
If you cut the Blue/White wire you will kill your headlight completely. I remember seeing the post also, I think it was Bassdude that said it, but I think he was referring to cutting the wire and splicing into it, not cutting it completely.
I believe if you do away with the lightbar switch and just splice the hot lead for the driving lights into the Blue/White wire you will have lights all the time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I like that solution too.
Would you be willing to post a how-to for this? I would like to do the same thing.
Thanks.
Paul

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Great way & idea to "fix" your issue to keep your lightbar lights on while on hi beam since you need them to turn off during inspection when you use the hi beam switch. I'm sure this will help someone else that is the same predicament as you are with annual inspections; thanks for posting this info.

I am fortunate that I don't have to go thru inspections and therefore I'm in need for the "fix" to keep my lightbar lights on while the hi beam switch is on since I too have a headlight modulator.

http://vtx1300tips.com/VTX1300TIPS.htm#lighbarlightskeepon

·
Registered
7,114 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to clarify, this is with the lightbar installed with the switch and wire harness that comes with the lightbar. If you are doing away with the switch and relay, and just wiring it straight this will not work.
Appreciate the great info and the "fix" link to be able to keep the lightbar lights on while using the hi beam switch.

I will install the lightbar with the switch and harness that came with the lightbar and just cut the blue wire on the lightbar's relay plug and hopefully this will keep my lightbar lights on.

I plan on doing this within the next couple of days, so will post after the install; many thanks! :patriot:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Yes, I have the lightbar installed with the switch and wire harness. I leave the lightbar switch in the on position all the time.
Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just finished installing my hondaline lightbar and all went well :). Took my time and was able to get it installed without any problems. Only issue I have and it seems that it's an issue with everyone that has the hondaline lightbar, is that the lights don't tighten to the lightbar and if you try to tighten them to much then the bolt will strip; so guess we are stuck with them like they are unless someone comes up with a "fix" for that as well.

Glad to have had all the advice given here, they all came in handy. :)

I did the following additions to the lightbar installation instructions:

Instead of using the (2) large rubber washers in installing the lights, I used (2) stainless steel washers; this way the lights "grounded" to the lightbar and you do not have to use the grounding wires for each light. Got the SS washers from Ace however they did not have the right size washer, smaller hole, so I use my dremel to make the hole bigger so it would fit. Lowes didn't have them in SS, only in zinc.

To keep the lightbar lights on while using the hi beam, I did cut the blue wire from the lightbar's relay wire harness and it worked. :mosh:Here is a pic of the relay wire harness where I cut the wire and then used some electrical tape on the ends.

Once again, many thanks to all of you that assisted in my installation by providing me with all the info I needed; Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The ability to turn off the lightbar at will comes in very handy if you ever decide to run with heated gear.

CW

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...Instead of using the (2) large rubber washers in installing the lights, I used (2) stainless steel washers; this way the lights "grounded" to the lightbar and you do not have to use the grounding wires for each light. Got the SS washers from Ace however they did not have the right size washer, smaller hole, so I use my dremel to make the hole bigger so it would fit. Lowes didn't have them in SS, only in zinc.

Correction: It would be best to use the top large rubber washers between the light assy and the light bar to prevent the light assy from moving freely side to side, however you can leave out the bottom rubber washers so metal contact can be made to ground the lights therefore eliminating having to use the ground wires. You also can do without the SS washer on the bottom if you so desire. :patriot:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts