Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all; hope everyone is still enjoying their Thanksgiving weekend; I'm comtemplating getting a lightbar for my 09 VTX1300T and in doing a little research, I really can't see why I should spend the additional dollars for the Hondaline lightbar.

I read that installation is easier with Hondaline because it is basically "plug & play" however, the concept of the lights turning off when you switch to hi beam kind of defeats the purpose to me. Would this also occur with the Cobra lights as well? If so, is there a "fix" for this? I would prefer to have the lights on all the time and I also use my hi beam quite often since I have a Kisan Headlight Modulator.

Is there another brand of lightbars I should consider as well? As always, I appreciate all the info I get from the cafe members. :patriot:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Greetings all; hope everyone is still enjoying their Thanksgiving weekend; I'm comtemplating getting a lightbar for my 09 VTX1300T and in doing a little research, I really can't see why I should spend the additional dollars for the Hondaline lightbar.

I read that installation is easier with Hondaline because it is basically "plug & play" however, the concept of the lights turning off when you switch to hi beam kind of defeats the purpose to me. Would this also occur with the Cobra lights as well? If so, is there a "fix" for this? I would prefer to have the lights on all the time and I also use my hi beam quite often since I have a Kisan Headlight Modulator.

Is there another brand of lightbars I should consider as well? As always, I appreciate all the info I get from the cafe members. :patriot:
I went with the HL lightbar and added the signals to the bar as well (see here http://www.vtxcafe.com/album.php?albumid=2076&pictureid=12663).
As for your 'fix' around having them go off with the Headlight, yes, you can wire the switch around that however, realize that in most states (probably all states) it is against the law. That doesn't mean you will get busted but just letting you know.
Also, if you have lower wind deflectors you will need a headlight extender to make either work. http://www.glensvtxgarage.com/

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Not impressed with Cobra....

Well I sent a Cobra back, and got the Hondaline right after I got my bike due to (IMO) the Cobra being a POS...Would've had to go out and buy alot of extra wiring crap to make it work without burning up the starter switch within a few days....Also wouldn't fit with the windshield either, whioch was the biggest reason for going with the Hondaline...The cobra has 4-1/2" deep spots which WILL interfere with your factory 1300T windshield, unless you buy another extra piece known as a headlight extension...As far as the Hondaline lightbar going off when running the high beam headlight, a single cut of the blue/white striped wire in the headlight bucket cured that situation....

Besides that, I didn't care for the Cobra having the turn signals stick out to the sides rather than hang below the spotlights...

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
One issue that some have had with the hondaline (myself and Bassdude included), is that they can be hard to get aimed low enough. Bassdude used some spacers under the ball of the light to raise them up enough to be able to tilt them forward, and I made a wedged spacer to go under the mount and tilt the whole bar down a little.
I have mine wired in without the switch so it is always on. It is going through a relay so it goes off when starting like the headlight.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also noticed there are 2 separate Hondaline lightbar for the VTX1300; would either one fit on my 09 1300T? I prefer the 1st one shown below:

08V31-MEM-100

Engineered specifically for the VTX™, this Chrome Light Bar provides a custom look and enhanced visibility. Handlebar-mounted push-button switch makes it easy to operate. Designed to fit with the Hondaline Custom Windshield. (HL-08R80-MCV-100A).

HL-08V31-MEA-101
Engineered specifically for the VTX1300, this Chrome Light Bar looks great and provides enhanced visibility. Handlebar mounted push-button switch makes it easy to operate. Chrome Light Bar is required for installation of Custom Windshield (Part number 08R80-MEA-100).

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Not sure either, but it sounds like the first one is for if you already have the windshield, which you do. The second is what I have and the windshield attaches to it. May want to call to be sure.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure either, but it sounds like the first one is for if you already have the windshield, which you do. The second is what I have and the windshield attaches to it. May want to call to be sure.
I will give them a call tomorrow to find out and post on here what they tell me; thanks. :)

...As far as the Hondaline lightbar going off when running the high beam headlight, a single cut of the blue/white striped wire in the headlight bucket cured that situation....QUOTE]

Thanks Bassdude for the "fix" which will keep the lightbar on while running the high beam; looks like I'll be going Hondaline after I make a call tomorrow.

Just out of curiousity, is that blue/white striped wire sole purpose is to turn the lightbar off when using the high beam? :hmm2:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
When I got my bike inspected, he had me try my high beams and said if the lightbar stayed on with the brights, it would not pass inspection.

You may want to check your local laws about that before sniping any wires.:hmm2:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I also noticed there are 2 separate Hondaline lightbar for the VTX1300; would either one fit on my 09 1300T? I prefer the 1st one shown below:

08V31-MEM-100

Engineered specifically for the VTX™, this Chrome Light Bar provides a custom look and enhanced visibility. Handlebar-mounted push-button switch makes it easy to operate. Designed to fit with the Hondaline Custom Windshield. (HL-08R80-MCV-100A).

HL-08V31-MEA-101
Engineered specifically for the VTX1300, this Chrome Light Bar looks great and provides enhanced visibility. Handlebar mounted push-button switch makes it easy to operate. Chrome Light Bar is required for installation of Custom Windshield (Part number 08R80-MEA-100).
I used the bottom one (HL-08V31-MEA-101) on my T. It was easy to line up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Light bar

You could put a hidden switch on that wire so when you go for inspection the lights would go off and after inspection you could have lights stay on

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have ordered the 2nd one (101) but it's not here yet. Wondering about the comment by Jstar61 that the windshield attatches to it?? I have the quick release Memphis Fats....Anyone know of any issues I might have? Mine was $326 + tax. Wondering also about the + tax bit in Ohio. I thot it was only if you're in the same state. :hmm2:

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I have ordered the 2nd one (101) but it's not here yet. Wondering about the comment by Jstar61 that the windshield attatches to it?? I have the quick release Memphis Fats....Anyone know of any issues I might have? Mine was $326 + tax. Wondering also about the + tax bit in Ohio. I thot it was only if you're in the same state. :hmm2:
The MS mounts differently, so mount wise it shouldn't be a problem. I think Bassdude had a MS shield on with his before he went to the fairing.

·
Miles: 50,000+
7,104 Posts
i have a MS Shield and the HL Lightbar. No mounting issues. Lights come close to the sheild, but still about 1/4" to 1/2" clearance. The second lightbar pictured is what I got, it mounts to the lower triple tree and you need to remove the stock signial assembly and relocate the signals to the lightbar. Installation is a snap, the hardest part is routing the wires through the lightbar. I suggest using a wire coat hanger or other strong wire to feed the wiring harness through the lightbar.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I got my bike inspected, he had me try my high beams and said if the lightbar stayed on with the brights, it would not pass inspection.

You may want to check your local laws about that before sniping any wires.:hmm2:
Thanks for the heads up, fortunately no inspections here to worry about.

I called this morning in reference to the Hondaline lightbar shown below:

08V31-MEM-100

and the parts guy stated that this one is not listed for the 09 1300R/S/T; stated it was probably for an earlier model, like an 04 1300C; said to get the other one which is the proper one for my bike. Now the hunt continues to see where to purchase it from...:hmm2::icon_work

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
The MS mounts differently, so mount wise it shouldn't be a problem. I think Bassdude had a MS shield on with his before he went to the fairing.
Yup, had a MS fats before the fairing, and no clearance issues...

Where did you order it from??...If you ordered it from HDL, they're located in Ohio...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the reassuring words that I ordered the right one. I got mine from directlineparts.com and they are in Ohio and I'm in NC so I should have a little rebate coming, unless Ohio has some wierd tax law. I'm also installing the Kury run turn brake deal at the same time, so any tips are appreciated. Just hitchhiking Abn1SG....

Just got an email from directline for 10% discount + 5% rebate use coupon code FEAST coulda saved almost $50 on lightbar alone. at least u can

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks for the reassuring words that I ordered the right one. I got mine from directlineparts.com and they are in Ohio and I'm in NC so I should have a little rebate coming, unless Ohio has some wierd tax law. I'm also installing the Kury run turn brake deal at the same time, so any tips are appreciated. Just hitchhiking Abn1SG....

Just got an email from directline for 10% discount + 5% rebate use coupon code FEAST coulda saved almost $50 on lightbar alone. at least u can
Thanks for the coupon code retro; I actually was reading thru their instructions on the use of their discount code; good till Dec7th; still contemplating purchase, pretty expensive item to purchase but at least now it is $32.64 less expensive; decisions, decisions...:hmm2:

Unfortunately retro you got hit with the sales tax based on that there is no sales tax for orders shipped outside of FL, NC, & Ohio. Since they have stores/warehouses in these states they have to collect sales tax.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts