Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
:coffee:Hmmmmm......... looks pretty interesting from a "huh will ya look what they did" perspective, but I'm not sure sure that people who ride in the states will want to give up their clunky gear shifting & control of the ride "traditional style". Its part of the experience for most people. Kind of like you can buy powerful and REALLY REALLY quiet bikes even cruisers. Most of us resolve that problem in the first mod or two. Why, well were not a passive go quietly into the night kind of bunch, and we generally like our bikes just a little raw. I think its cool engineering that will sell better elsewhere, or on true touring bikes. That is something that would be great on a Wing, and really be a good selling point. I'd take a ride for fun, but not likely to put a sport bike with that transmission in the stable myself. D Day

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I've heard it will become an option on more and more of their bikes in the next couple of years if there is enough interest generated with the DCT on the VFR's. Personally I think it takes away from the motorcycle experience but on the other hand people like my wife who can't shift anything manually would really benefit from it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Riding a bike is kind of a driver intensive piece of transportation, without disrespect to of those who would find it makes riding easier. If driving with a clutch is more than they want or can manage to master it may not be the best choice for them to be riding in the front seat. There are a awful lot of marginally competent riders buying bikes on desires that their skills can't match, fast entering the roadways and this seems to promote that trend. Again I'm well aware there are exceptions to the generalization I've made so please don't get offended if you or someone you know is one. Again, big touring bikes..... this is a place where this piece of technology would really shine. Particularly with the mode options and thumb shifter. I keep wondering why they put it on the VFR (a sudo-sport tourer) as a public test bed. If anything it would have been better on the Crossrunner as an option. Baby VFR, upright seating position, wide bars, geared towards the commuter / new rider / easy to use / weekend adventure demographic. Honda again introduces the automatic in the wrong place in their lineup. They've been here before. Nice idea... poor placement. DOA - Killed a nice idea with poor placement (perhaps). :hmm2: D Day
I've heard it will become an option on more and more of their bikes in the next couple of years if there is enough interest generated with the DCT on the VFR's. Personally I think it takes away from the motorcycle experience but on the other hand people like my wife who can't shift anything manually would really benefit from it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
What about the first gear klunk! I like my klunk now, klunk is good. I'd miss it.
Auto transmission with paddle shifters I could see might be fun, but there is just something about shifting.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Agree....first it's withdrawl due to the off season then we will have Klunk Withdrawl.
I can see the need for support groups and costly therapy.
We may need the Sugeon General to put a stop to it due to the higher cost of the follow-up health care cost it will create.:mosh:
:cheers:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Automatics in cars (especially in the uber high-end) were about improving performance, a flappy-paddle Ferrari is quicker than a metal-gated one with a left pedal...

...I'm not sure they can make that performance improvement in a motorcycle environment, but that might be one reason and direction with implementing it in a sport tourer. Again, I could see it in a Honda Accord^H^H^H^H^H Gold Wing, too. But man, I LOVE the fact my Bike doesn't have an accessory position on the ignition. This bike is simple. fun. Part of that is shifting gears, even if it's less efficient.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts