Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Klaatu Barada Nikto
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem... More like problems. So i've been noticing lately that the rear brake is slightly grabbing... the brake lever is all the way up and somehow it sounds like its warped and gets louder as the speed increases and when just coming to a stop. I just had the rim off for a darkside change out lubed the splines... Sometimes when i use the rear brake hard enough i can feel it pulsating. It only has 7400 miles on it what is going on???

Problem #2... Just started today is when i shift into 3rd or above i would get a screeching noise coming from the back i think... It only happens when my on the gas and it doesnt make that noise when im in the lower 2 gears no madder if im gentle or hard on the throttle...

Problem #3... this one's been pissing me off the most... everytime i hit the brakes my headlight and front turnsigs would dim and flash like my rtb i have on the back i checked the battery terminals they're fine and the wires in the headlight are fine too what gives????

Thanks in advance, Zippy

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Have you checked to make sure you back tire isn't rubbing on anything? If it is rubbing through the back wiring harness could cause some problems.

·
Klaatu Barada Nikto
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked to make sure you back tire isn't rubbing on anything? If it is rubbing through the back wiring harness could cause some problems.

Sorry dan but it also did it when i had the dunlop

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Raise the bike up on a firm support and wiggle the wheel from side to side. Guessing but you may have a bearing going bad.

Donut:patriot:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
90% of the time with dimming lights it is a grounding issue. If you run multiple electronics to the same ground (that's not the battery) you can have issues. Running grounds a long distance also isn't good.

·
Klaatu Barada Nikto
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
90% of the time with dimming lights it is a grounding issue. If you run multiple electronics to the same ground (that's not the battery) you can have issues. Running grounds a long distance also isn't good.

ok but the rtb isnt grounded to the fuze block its grounded to the bolt on the frame..

Raise the bike up on a firm support and wiggle the wheel from side to side. Guessing but you may have a bearing going bad.

Great i guess i gotta get a lift and a support frame

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
ok but the rtb isnt grounded to the fuze block its grounded to the bolt on the frame..
All the electrical is intertwined. A bad ground on one circuit can cause issues in other systems. If you have a meter you can do random ground tests. Set the meter to ohms and put one end to the neg terminal, than put the other terminal to your grounding points. A strong ground would be .0something.

I cant tell you how many times I have spent hours tracing electrical problems only to find out we had a dirty ground. In some of the new cars it would make systems we never touched act up.

·
Klaatu Barada Nikto
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok ill try it 2moro its kinda dark right now lol

·
Klaatu Barada Nikto
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Doug would it cause the brake to make a "warping" sound

·
Registered
743 Posts
Problem... More like problems. So i've been noticing lately that the rear brake is slightly grabbing... the brake lever is all the way up and somehow it sounds like its warped and gets louder as the speed increases and when just coming to a stop. I just had the rim off for a darkside change out lubed the splines... Sometimes when i use the rear brake hard enough i can feel it pulsating. It only has 7400 miles on it what is going on??? Was the rotor removed to install the tire? Could have been put back on wrong, or not torqued in the proper sequence. Put a little brake fluid on the pistons, then push the pistons (caliper) in against the rotor to lube the seals.

Problem #2... Just started today is when i shift into 3rd or above i would get a screeching noise coming from the back i think... It only happens when my on the gas and it doesnt make that noise when im in the lower 2 gears no madder if im gentle or hard on the throttle... Did you check the flange bearings when you had the tire installed? Check for play in the wheel like Donut said.

Problem #3... this one's been pissing me off the most... everytime i hit the brakes my headlight and front turnsigs would dim and flash like my rtb i have on the back i checked the battery terminals they're fine and the wires in the headlight are fine too what gives???? Do the checks like suggested. The electrical system on these bikes is lacking, to say the least.

Thanks in advance, Zippy
Try this.

·
Klaatu Barada Nikto
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try what??? Nothing is there

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
The rotors will rub on the brakes, but should rub on there to make it get hot or damage.
If it is rubbing, you could have a sticky brake caliper. As said before, you need to jack the bike up and check it.
That may also be where the noise is comeing from.
Really hard to diagnose on a computer.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Jack it up so rear wheel is off the ground then in neutral rotate the wheel and see if it drags in one spot look at the rotor and see if it wobbles. also ( be careful and don't pull the bike off it stand. try wiggling the bottom of the wheel from the side in and out and see if there is any movement.

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
Use straps to hold it whenever the bike is off the ground! I watched a guy lift his bike up without straps and proceed to flip it off the stand and damn near onto his head!

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Just to clarify and add some info...

Rear rotor was removed for tire swap, so no possiblilty it got bent at that time...

I checked the flange bearing, and at that time it was fine...Lubed the splines with Honda moly paste, the exact same stuff (same tube actually) that I used for my own bike last July...

Axle was sanded smooth (had a couple funky spots) then lubed with anti-seize, just as I did my own last July also...

Also need to note that Zippy ride his bike year-round, in Chicago....This means lots of road salt in the winter..I had to take a scotchbrite pad to the rear wheel where the rotor mounts to get a clean mounting surface...

My guess on this is the slide pin for the rear caliper has a chitload of salt build-up and corrosion and is sticking now...That's where I personally would start looking....

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Yep, I would be checking it.
If it freezes up, you will burn the brakes and the rotor up.

My wife had the rear calipers (pistons) freeze and we were 1 1/2hr from home, I had to bleed them and I rode it home with no rear brake, while she rode my bike. Warranty paid for everything. It would have been about $250 for damages, or more.

·
Klaatu Barada Nikto
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok so how can i check that bill, i havent got a mc jack or stand....

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
You can check you calipers to see if they are locking up or rusted without jacking the bike up.
Find someone that has a jack in your area.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
You can get to the caliper with the bike on the ground...pull the stock mufflers off, (just the mufflers, not the entire pipe setup), and your saddlebag, and you'll have easy acces to the caliper...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts