Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the MTC clutch kit and steel plates. My thought being that I don't want to get the whole thing tore apart to install the clutch and realize I needed the steel plates are shot.

So I'm looking at the new steel plates and I see they have little dimples all over the face of them. They aren't deep. Is that the wear indicator? I want to replace them if need be, but if they look darn near brand new, why not return the $70 in parts.

I ask because I was having the normal occasional clutch slip on the 1800 until I changed the oil with valvoline a few weeks back and now I can't even go quickly to beyond 1/2 throttle to pass a car. I have to roll into it.

The bike only has about 4500 miles (bought it with 2100 in September) and average about 5-7K/year myself.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
If you are going to tear the clutch apart - change it all. Screw the $70. Now, what kind of Valvoline did you use - the gas saving oil will make the clutch slip. Sounds like it was slipping before so probably not a big deal - but get that oil out of it. The 1800 has a "weak" clutch. If you hammer it, it will burn up. Take it a bit easier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have to ask - Did you use Valvoline 4 stroke Motorcycle oil? Although it says you can use it with a wet clutch, your symptoms sound like clutch slip caused by energy saving additives which actually make the oil too slick.

As for the clutch, Honda recommends replacing both discs and plates at the same time. Minimum disc thickess Service Limit) is 0.12" (3.1mm).

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
The Dimples are not wear indicators.

Steels only need replaced if they are warped and/or burnt... If they look blue, uh yeah, junk. If they look perfect, you can check them for warp on a 100% F L A T surface w/ feeler guage. Nothing wrong with replacing them if you have any doubt.

I replaced just my frictions and springs (with MTC parts) about 20k ago, still running the original OEM steels. I noticed very early on an ever so faint slip under full power. so I drove like Grandma after that, avoided any slippage and replaced the frictions within 100 miles of the first slip. I didn't worry much about cooking my steels under those conditions.

Sounds like the OP's clutch is in a bit worse shape than mine was.

(New clutch bolts are a MUST.)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After the pain in digging it all out, there was no doubt for the $70 I was going to replace it all.

Yes it was the Valvoline 10W40 4 stroke motorcycle oil "made for excellent wet clutch performance".

I didn't get new bolts, so before I put it all back together, I have to ask what the reasoning is in replacing bolts?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
That's why you replace the bolts - lots of reports about the old bolts breaking. May sure you use a torque wrench with the new bolts.

·
Registered
743 Posts
The stock plates are dimpled to hold more oil. I'm glad to hear the new ones are too. Didn't know that. It's a good idea to replace it all as the thickness of the MTC discs and steels could be a little different than stock. Pack may be too thick/thin with the stock steels.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did use a torque wrench :(.

As far as the steels I got from DLP, they are honda steels. Came in a honda bag and all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Who is dlp and where do i get new (stronger) clutch bolts? I bought mtx friction kit. 04 vtx 1800. Havent opened sidecover yet. Want all parts onhand prior to replacing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Who is dlp and where do i get new (stronger) clutch bolts? I bought mtx friction kit. 04 vtx 1800. Havent opened sidecover yet. Want all parts onhand prior to replacing.
I believe that DLP closed shop years ago. He was a supporter of the OA and Cafe. That pose above yours is from 2011.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Funny, similar discussion was on Vulcan forum.
1.Clutch springs are ALWAYS compressed (ride or not), so guess what happens with compressed spring after 15-20 years? They go weak.
2.friction discs of bikes are identical to discs of car automatic transmissions and they usually (unless sport bike and crazy owner) last about 150k miles. 99% replacements are done for no reason.
3.there are pretty simple tests for friction discs and steel discs in service manual if you want to check discs.
4.If steel discs have overheating rainbow temp marks check warpage putting disc on window glass (read manual)
5.If friction discs are bad you will most likely see it w/o any measurements
Problem with one of my bikes:
clutch slipping 100%
All discs were brand new, passed all measurement tests.
Aluminum pressure plate was worn out, I installed extra used steel plate, fixed!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts