Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you try someone elses bike?take measurmenets?all about the looks?Or did you just guess lol. I am thinking about new bars but dont have a clue as to what i want.On the chopper it is stretched and the drag bars are comfy on it but not sure on the X. How did you all decide on how to choose yours?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I still use stock, because the position works for me. That may change when I get the ultimate seat. Also, what are you going after, comfort, looks, or both?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
A good starting point would to have a friend available.
sit on the bike with your arms/hands in the position that you like. Have your friend measure the rise and pull back.
Another way is to sit on someone else's bike but it needs to be a 1800 c since that's what you have.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
First, use beer to bribe two friends to help you. Cut two 12" long pieces of broomhandle. Hold one in each hand like you would handlebar grips. While one friend straddles the front wheel and holds the bike upright, you sit on the seat and assume the hand position you desire (height, pullback, and width). Now have friend number two measure three things:
1) Distance between outside of pinky fingers - this is the width
2) Distance that the center of palm is above the center of the riser holes. Make sure to measure this as an elevation change and not the actual distance from the riser holes to your palm center. This is the rise.
3) Distance that the outside edge of your pinky finger is back from the center of the riser holes. Make sure to measure this as a distance back and not the actual distance from the riser holes to your palm center. This is the pullback.

You need to also measure the distance between the knurled areas of your risers and make sure that your new bars have this same distance. There are adaptors available to convert Harley knurling separation into something usable for a VTX.

Make sure to consider the risers when selecting new bars. You may not find the exact bars you want but replacing bars and risers may work for you. Note that risers will add to both the height and the pullback of the riser holes.

Lastly, make sure to consider if you will need new control cables, lines, and electrical.

G'day,

Vinish

Reactions: bullytransport

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i may have to try some of the ideas except for the beer for the friends lol. the way my friends drink it would be cpeaper for me to much a couple of different types and put them on lol

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
I rode my dads 1800c and liked the riding position so I found a set of 1800c bars and risers for sale on here at the Cafe. The 1300c models have low, stretched bars. One thing to keep in mind is that if your speedometer is the same piece as the handlebar clamp, you may want to just get some bars. The rise and pull back of the 1800c risers are significant enough that you may be able to do some straight drag bars. I am just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well said boondoxliver, I got apes on my 1800c, and that's because my friends and I did the measuring and what I wanted is to keep my hands just under my shoulders allowing me to sit up. The key word is what feels good to the rider, the views are all good from the drivers seat.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok my next question is about how tall either bars or risers can i go without having to get new cables?

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
ok my next question is about how tall either bars or risers can i go without having to get new cables?
Most folks say that the stock cables and wires will support a four inch extension (ususally done in the form of a riser) and some even state that they were okay using a 6" riser. Anything greater than 6" is near universally found to require longer cables/wires/lines. Personally, I replaced the stock riser (about 1-2 inch) with Phat Riser II which I believe are 6" on my wife's 1300R and this worked but the front brake line was tight against the tank in right hand turns. This was after re-routing the clutch and brake to behind the triple tree. We ended up lengthening the brake line by about 4".

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
22 Posts
One other thing to consider is the amount of time you will spend riding on the bike. If you like drag style bars, the footpeg position, and the drag bars will put you into a sort of crunch position. After a bit of time riding, you will slouch down into a crunch, which pushes your guts up into your lungs, and makes riding a bunch more uncomfortable, especially your kindeys, they will be screaming. If you are more for long riding, you will probably like bars that keep you sitting upright with a straight back. Ape-hangers force you to sit more upright, but you have to have cables, brakelines and electrical changed to make that happen.

If your handlebar position is almost right, but not quite, see if bending the bars would work. I'd not recommend this for a home fix. You need to find a shop that will bend tubing and need lots of patience while that work takes place.

Just some suggestions.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I've got mine set up so I can vary my riding position a number of ways; slouching, sit up straight, legs outstretched, legs to the side, regular "chair sitting" position, I can push back into the seat and stretch my arms, or lean slightly forward and drop my elbows. I used to get a pain across my shoulders before the risers, but that has completely gone now. I think it is due to the fact that I am relaxed and not stuck in one position. Risers make a big difference, and you can always buy/sell them on here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts