Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven’t owned a vtx until now and I get paranoid about it sounding different from other bikes I have owned.

It was requiring the choke to start, even on a warm day, which I understand now (from reading here) is a big no no. I haven’t pulled plugs yet to see how they look but have adjusted my mixture screw a little.

Video sounds recordings can be misleading but if you could take a listen and provide feedback I would appreciate it.VTX 1300

·
Super Moderator
11,361 Posts
I think you idle is a little low. With a VTX, you do NOT want the loping sound of a Harley.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I haven’t owned a vtx until now and I get paranoid about it sounding different from other bikes I have owned.

It was requiring the choke to start, even on a warm day, which I understand now (from reading here) is a big no no. I haven’t pulled plugs yet to see how they look but have adjusted my mixture screw a little.

Video sounds recordings can be misleading but if you could take a listen and provide feedback I would appreciate it.VTX 1300
An adjustment of the A/F screw will help with the warm starts as well as the amount of choke for the cold starts. The “Enricher” crowd will be along shortly to correct my terminology, but I’m going to call it a choke for simplicity.
If an occasional use of the choke ruins a motorcycle, it isn’t worth a crap to start with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 vt1100 areo. Plus a 2012 xlc 1200
34 Posts

Your exhaust sounds like crap!!! Try cobra. Anything is better then that. Honestly

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine lopes a little only when choked. Once off choke, it runs smooth @ 900 RPMs. I hear if you go slower than that, you run into issues with cooling & lubrication. I choke mine in all weather to start when the engine is cold. In warm weather, it doesn't need to stay on very long. It's not bad either to choke in warm weather (unless you leave the choke on a long time) or my plugs would tell me as noted below.

I have Vance & Hines Big Shots with their Quiet Baffles. The sound great, breath great and my spark plugs look perfect after 5000 miles.

Sound is in the ear of the beholder. Do what you want there. Your plugs will never lie.

2007 VTX R 32K miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts