Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Washed out my tank tonight with some fuel. I finally blocked off the fuel line somewhere with a chunk of rust and got stuck on the highway last night. Got home from work tonight and washed it out. Let me just say that the chunks of rust coming out of the tank, if they were gold, I'm pretty sure I could buy a new VTX. Holy crap. No wonder she's running like crap. My bike was having freaking strokes from the rust in the fuel lines. anyway, soaking it in some coke for now. Will let you all know how the removal goes and carb cleaning, etc. Gotta get my girl back up and running again.

Dave

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Glad you were able to get that outta there. Hope it works out well.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
185 Posts
You might check out coating the tank. I don't remember the name of the coating for this job but it should be available at any auto parts store. If you do coat it be sure to clean out the lines when finished.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Take some nuts and bolts and trow them in after counting them. Put some more coke in and shake the tank. They'll help break the rust of the metal. I'd recoat the tank to reseal it too. I've done this to cars and bikes before. Don't forget to count the parts to be sure they're all out and don't use parts small enough to get stuck in the tubes.

·
243 Posts
Be sure to fill it to the top for the winter, Keeps the air and moisture out,
:cheers:
This doesn't work any more.... the alcohol in the fuel will attract water, full or not....

·
Registered
875 Posts
I had a friend with the same issue, He took the tank to a sand blasting company and they soft blasted the inside with low presser to remove the rust, Then washed it out real good, coated the tank and re-installed .Seemed to clear up his problem... Good Luck

·
Registered
202 Posts
It's my understanding that Sta-bil takes alcohol out of gas or at least counteracts the bad effects. The blue stuff for marine engines is supposed to anyway. I fill my tank with a dose of the red sta-bil every winter when I put the bike to bed. So far I have not had any issues with varnish or rust.

I used a product named Creem(spelling?) to line the tank on an old bike I had years ago. It worked perfectly and held up great. It was about $50 at that time so it's not cheap. But it worked the nuts.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i would use the marine stabil specially designed to work with the 10 percent ethanol gas rather than the blue stabil, although i guess it depends on how long your bike is laid up for the winter. I also have two outboards that i use the marine stabil on, but the outboards run with non metal gas tanks which is a help. It may come about that gas tanks in cars, boats and motorcycles will have to go to non rusting gas tanks. :icon_blah Bry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rusty Tank

Just wondering if this bike sat for any period of time? I've cleaned tanks up before. I pour in a carton of BB's and a bottle of MMO (Marvels Mystery Oil ). Shut the cap and roll this around for a good while, let it sit and roll it around again. Makes it shiny as new!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts