Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

On to my latest add-on, a GPS speedometer, after adding remote indicator lights for gages to my “field of view” when wearing a full face helmet. I still had to keep looking down to the gas tank to see how fast I was going.

So I starting looking for a fix that is very easy to setup and use, I found my answer on FleeBay.

I ordered: Car Digital GPS Speedometer Head Up Display Overspeed MPH/KM Tired Warning Alarm

The setup is very easy, allowing choice of km or miles in large 35mm display almost an inch and a half.

You can also show under the speedometer if you want (Single trip driving time, Trip mileage as well as Altitude).

As you can see in the photos I mounted mine on top of the Batwing fairing, for me it works perfect placed there.

The GPS speedometer takes less than a minute to find the satellites and displays the current speed. (Even if it’s zero).

The large display is very easy to see in bright daylight and also has an auto dimming feature built in as well for night time use.

The unit also has an Over Speed Warning and Fatigue driving Alarm but the buzzer is too low a volume to hear over the bike.

The GPS speedometer came with a mount and USB cable to power the display, not a bad deal for under $20.00 bucks.

David Hilton Ret. USN ETC/SS

·
Registered
384 Posts
Very nice. Concerned about rain damage?

Do you have a link to the ebay unit?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Fastest Red Club Member
6,987 Posts
Interesting idea. How does it compare to the dash reading?
A GPS type cover would help with rain. Those are under $20 as well.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well every time I am looking for something informational I usually think "I'll bet there is an app for that." Sure enough, my GPS speedometer is on my smartphone in the phone holder on the handlebar.

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have had an app and have used it for years. I have the "Speedometer Speed Box App" for iOS.

I also have GPS on my Tsukayu Batwing fairing with the speed.

I ordered this unit, just to have a dedicated speed, where I don't have to use my phone/Stereo.

·
Super Moderator
5,319 Posts
Well every time I am looking for something informational I usually think "I'll bet there is an app for that." Sure enough, my GPS speedometer is on my smartphone in the phone holder on the handlebar.
I use my phone and the Google Maps app. whenever I am traveling on unfamiliar roads both in my truck and on the bike. The problem with Google Maps is it doesn't give me speed of travel About a year ago, before I went on my long trip back East I (much like you) thought that there must be an app. and lo and behold there is an app. that works with Google Maps and puts a small window down in the left hand corner of the screen when running Maps. So I have my tunes on my phone, Maps is my GPS when traveling and I also have the GPS speed display all in one unit held to the bars by my RAM mount.

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,367 Posts
I have a Garmin Zumo 550 that I bought about a year after I bought the bike (2006). It's waterproof, and I can set it to Speedometer mode. It's at a height so I can see it better than the speedo, and much more accurate. It did cost much more....but then I've had it for many years...…..

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have a Garmin Zumo 550 that I bought about a year after I bought the bike (2006). It's waterproof, and I can set it to Speedometer mode. It's at a height so I can see it better than the speedo, and much more accurate. It did cost much more....but then I've had it for many years...…..
Fyi, my speedo is accurate at any speed. I have a speedo corrector (speedodrd). But with a different odometer %, my odometer is now off by -4%.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
6,987 Posts
I use my phone and the Google Maps app. whenever I am traveling on unfamiliar roads both in my truck and on the bike. The problem with Google Maps is it doesn't give me speed of travel About a year ago, before I went on my long trip back East I (much like you) thought that there must be an app. and lo and behold there is an app. that works with Google Maps and puts a small window down in the left hand corner of the screen when running Maps. So I have my tunes on my phone, Maps is my GPS when traveling and I also have the GPS speed display all in one unit held to the bars by my RAM mount.
Google maps added speed this year to the screen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello to all,

On to my latest add-on, a GPS speedometer, after adding remote indicator lights for gages to my “field of view” when wearing a full face helmet. I still had to keep looking down to the gas tank to see how fast I was going.

So I starting looking for a fix that is very easy to setup and use, I found my answer on FleeBay.

I ordered: Car Digital GPS Speedometer Head Up Display Overspeed MPH/KM Tired Warning Alarm

The setup is very easy, allowing choice of km or miles in large 35mm display almost an inch and a half.

You can also show under the speedometer if you want (Single trip driving time, Trip mileage as well as Altitude).

As you can see in the photos I mounted mine on top of the Batwing fairing, for me it works perfect placed there.

The GPS speedometer takes less than a minute to find the satellites and displays the current speed. (Even if it’s zero).

The large display is very easy to see in bright daylight and also has an auto dimming feature built in as well for night time use.

The unit also has an Over Speed Warning and Fatigue driving Alarm but the buzzer is too low a volume to hear over the bike.

The GPS speedometer came with a mount and USB cable to power the display, not a bad deal

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello mrwatcher1,

It's a Pyle stereo and water resistant housing (I installed housing upside down easier for me to use). (y)

I ordered it from Walmart.com easy install and at 300 watts plenty of power, radio, Bluetooth so it picks up incoming phone calls, SD and thumb drive player all for a fair price. 😍

David Hilton Ret. USN ETC/SS

QUOTE="mrwatcher1, post: 3361469, member: 121877"]
Where did you get that stero and housing ? NICE
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use the WAZE app and I absolutely love it as it gives you your land speed, the speed limit for the road you are in, it alerts for police and speed traps, accidents, etc.. it has a huge community and it is very accurate. Last but not least, you can chose if you want to ride highways or backroads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts