Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming up on 40K miles on my '06 N, and I put about 12K/yr on it. I'm thinking of trading it in at 50K, but it's still running like new. I do all the scheduled maintenance like clockwork. Is 50K too soon? How many miles do you have on your 1800? When an 1800 starts to reach it's end of life, what starts to go first (seals, burns oil, frame, transmission, final drive??)? Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I'm coming up on 40K miles on my '06 N, and I put about 12K/yr on it. I'm thinking of trading it in at 50K, but it's still running like new. I do all the scheduled maintenance like clockwork. Is 50K too soon? How many miles do you have on your 1800? When an 1800 starts to reach it's end of life, what starts to go first (seals, burns oil, frame, transmission, final drive??)? Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

I dont have a 1800,BUT all the bikes i had in the past i sold or traded in because i wanted something else.
Sooo im no help to you at all.:coffee:

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts

Got 30,000+ on my'06. Purchased new in August '08. It is still new.

From from posts I have read on this and other forums you might consider 250,000 miles for a mark but if your doing the maintenance who knows...

Personally I'm going for 500,000 on the "X" and the Shadow.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
With regular maintenance I would expect 100,000+ is not impossible. If you like the ride, can you see yourself on it for another 5 to 6 years? If so, then just continue with the regular maintenance.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Until it dies, then fix it. I know guys with way over 100K and still running good. I only have 80K+.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
If you are looking at it financially, your best is to keep it maintained and ride it till the wheels fall off, just like any other vehicle.
If your the kind that likes to always have a "new" vehicle than the less miles you have when you trade it in the better.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
It's just got to the broke in stage. Like John said if you need to have a newer bike do it if not you still have at least 60,000 more miles to think it over.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
From time to time a good thread pops up that has me snickering.
This is 1 of them.

I do understand your question but to ask on the internet when should I sell is like asking what color I should paint my bike.
It's personal and it's up to the owner ya know.
With proper maintenance it could very well out last you

·
Registered
450 Posts
That's a good question, I as well thought about it and came to the conclusions: The VTX with proper maintenance should surpass 120k+ miles. Mine is paid for so I owe nobody (not the nobody on the cafe' lol) nothing and money is terribly tight so again another major plus. If I'm correct the last production year of the 1800 was 08 so Honda will still make parts at least till 2018 (I'm not including accessories made by Honda in that statement just the parts), which means no issues and a long consumer life. Lastly I just don't see anything out on the cruiser/bagger market that makes the 1800 obsolete, just a lot of bikes with different lines and curves...not necessarily better... just different.

·
SOF
1,352 Posts
Keep it until some cager totals it for you.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Take care of it and it should last for as long as you want it. If you decide you want new, let the cafe know before trading it in....I for one would love to have an N and I'm sure there are others out there that would as well.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
I was in a Honda dealership last week cuz a friend was looking at a goldwing. The owner said he'd never sold a final drive as a part failure. So I'm guessing it won't be that.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
780 Posts
This is all arbitrary but to me 50K is the last of "fresh". 60 is heading into older. I know these bikes will go way over 100K but it think price will be affected. If you want to trade do it now for max value.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Lol! My dad's 1985 Shadow 700 has 115,000+ miles and has never had anything other than routine maintenance. My '03 Shadow had 60,000+ and ran like a top when I traded it for a Toyota 4 Runner. Only did that out of necessity. I had intended to keep it. I say keep it until circumstances or personal preference dictate otherwise.

·
Registered
475 Posts
With the prices of new 1800's being good now, If you can get a good price on yours now with the mileage you have now. Question is do you want a new bike?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts

it seems if it's been running good, like new, why sell it, like others say, unless you want something newer, different. i also see you only have 10 posts. have you been following the maintenance tips given here and manual, asked for help on here, ever had any problems??? if you're tired of your bike, then maybe sell. or according to your OP, you still have another year or so before you run to that mark. so keep riding it, enjoying it. bless:choppersm

·
Registered
205 Posts
I say why trade it. Is is an investment or a toy? If the first, trade it now. If its a toy, run it until you are sick of it to

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts