Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
I do!!! n' Lovin' it!!!
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the block off plates, how long should the whole job take? can it be done in less than 2 hours from start to finish? and any tips you can offer? i am thinking trying to do it now, but dont want to be up till 2am!!! (i cant stop until something is done and completed :banghead:)

TIA
Emilio

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
2 hrs is probably about right if you have never done it before, But if it was me I would wait, and not rush it. Always allow for the unexpected.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
2 hours is about right. Don't forget the little vacuum cap and air box plug thingy too. Word to the wise, don't just prop the tank. Drain it and take it off. Mine went flying when I took off one of the stuck hose clamps.

·
Wanderer in training
5,307 Posts
it's about a 2 hour job, go to bareasschopper.com I think there is a nice write up there. You could also do a search here, best of luck

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just did mine last weekend: http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=61805

It took about 4 hours in total, but that was because I also did the ground fix and was really taking my time after my tank almost dropped. Get an offset 8mm to get to the rear-left bolt. And the front left bolt sits under the radiator hose and was a little bit of a pain. It's probably not recommended but I used a long standard screwdriver as a pry-bar to push up the hose to make getting to the bolt easier.
Also, if you use the high-temp RTV to seal the plates, getting that front plate on without getting RTV all over your cylinder head is tough so take your time. I highly suggest you get the dimpled plates so you don't have to remove the PAIR assembly (yes, I'm lazy). If you get them from vtx-parts.com they come with a rubber plug for your airbox.

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
Yep, I'm another person who it took about 3 or 4 hours... was taking it slow though, had to do some extra steps too (non-dimpled plates).

If I did it again I'm sure I be done much faster than 2 hours, maybe 1... but there's no need to rush like that. If you know how, are comfortable with getting that tank completely out of the way, its a piece of cake. On my 1800 I tend to slide the tank off halfway (still connected) a lot (I mean... a LOT)... so it makes things a bit different.

Mort

·
Registered
167 Posts
Michelle here:

It took us about an hour or so. I read the directions, pointed things out and Billy did the wrenching. I have smaller fingers so I can get into those cramped places that Billy has trouble with. We used a combo of bareasschopper.com and goheen's youtube video. Sure makes a difference!:mosh:

·
I do!!! n' Lovin' it!!!
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
why cant i find it on bareasschoppers? i have looked and looked! i do have the instructions that were sent from who i bought the plates from, but i would also like to see bareasschoppers instructions as well......anyone got a link please?

thanks

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
2-3 hours seems right.

Make sure the bike is cold. You'll have to wedge your hand under the frame near the exhaust to get at one of the bolt, a burned hand is not something you want to get out of the mod.

Also, I highly recommend having some high heat silicone on hand. Block off plates can vary depending on who makes them, so a bead of silicone will give u a good seal.

I didn't so now I need to do that tomorrow as I'm experiencing some popping.

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Michelle here:

It took us about an hour or so. I read the directions, pointed things out and Billy did the wrenching. I have smaller fingers so I can get into those cramped places that Billy has trouble with. We used a combo of bareasschopper.com and goheen's youtube video. Sure makes a difference!:mosh:
Hey Michelle. You think Billy would rent out your smaller fingers when I do mine? Just for the PAIR valve Billy, I promise. LOL :D

·
Reality Check Bounced
444 Posts
I'm planning on doing this mod over the weekend.
http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/engine/vtx-1800-desmog/
:coffee:I'm doing the same soon and while reading started to wonder why even taking the reed valves off to put the plates over the holes. Why not just put a cap over the hose bib and leave the reed valves in place since they would be doing the same purpose as the block off plates and this will save ya the money, time and mess resealing. Even if you would have to remove them to take out the reed valves themselves, you could still be able to reuse the housing by simply putting a flat gasket between it or just capping the hose bib. Sorry, but paying $28.0 for 2 flat metal plates is a bit much for me. I have the equipment to make up my own plates, but, why break a seal if you don't have to when a dab of silicon and a cap will solve the problem?
I'm putting on a Thunder Air Kit I just got yesterday after ordering it April 3rd at the same time after I do the Pair job.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I bought mine for $18 online. Couldn't tell you where!!!:banghead: I didn't buy them on my 1300 and just capped the lines like you're saying. I bought the plates for my 1800 because it was a cleaner install and looked sweet.

:)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I helped a buddy of mine do his after I finished mine. He didn't know that someone already pulled the PAIR out. They just used rubber caps over the old plates. Seemed to work ok for maybe 3-4 years but his were cracked (from the heat I'm guessing) and were leaking air. Replaced it with the block-off plates. So the rubber caps will work, but only for a few years then you'll find yourself doing it again. Your call - but 2 hours of my time is worth more than the $15 you'll save the second time you have to do the mod.:nope:

·
Registered
99 Posts
It took about two hours but since I had the tank and seat off I also did the ground fix and installed a Nautilus horn.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
i have the block off plates, how long should the whole job take? can it be done in less than 2 hours from start to finish? and any tips you can offer? i am thinking trying to do it now, but dont want to be up till 2am!!! (i cant stop until something is done and completed :banghead:)

TIA
Emilio
Got mine in the mail also. Gonna do it Friday. Fishing Thursday (priorities you know...)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts