Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I got a new to me 2007 VTX 1800c and I'm leaving on a trip in a couple days. I really need to know much much fuel I have left when the fuel light comes on. Can anyone help me? I'd hate to get stranded on the side of the road in the 100+ degree heat of the Arizona desert.

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
Have a 2006 1800C. I average right at 40 mpg. I run to 160 miles with no problems and always have .5 gallons or so in the tank when I push it that far.

Normally get fuel warning at 134 -139 miles. I have a good 32 miles left and have never run dry yet.

30,000 miles on the bike .... has held true thru exhaust mod and Spyker air mod.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
go 100 miles and fill repeat to get an avg for your bike

After you get and avg then you can go to the reserve light if a filling station would be close and fill.

some of the guys only get 30-35 mpg so don't rely on info you get here or anywhere else till you check it yourself

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts

After you get and avg then you can go to the reserve light if a filling station would be close and fill.

some of the guys only get 30-35 mpg so don't rely on info you get here or anywhere else till you check it yourself
+1. Riding styles, where you live, city, highway. All will come into play. No way to know unless you check all those things on your own. Best you can hope for in an answer from others is a ballpark average.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Like Charlie D said fill up every 100 mile and get your average fuel milage and then run it till the light comes on. But it makes me nerves when the light comes on so I always fill up at 100-120 miles just to be sure.:icon_chee

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I was just wondering what amount of gas left in the tank does the factory set the light is set to come on. Like is it at 1 gallon? I can do a quick figure on the road while riding in my head to figure out about how far I have left. Example, if the light comes on at 120 miles and I know I have 1 gallon left then I would know I have about 30 miles to find gas.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee and wishing you a nice day. :patriot: Sorry, I can't help you with the fuel...I drive the 1300.

·
Registered
743 Posts

That's what I get, depending on elevation, conditions, riding style. I have about a gallon left when the light comes on, usually about 135 miles. Look us up http://www.arizonaxriders.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2003 "R" model 1800 and the manual says that "when the amber light comes on while riding, you have 1.06 u.s. imperial gallons of gas left in the tank."

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
I have a 2003 1800c and the light comes on at 70-75 miles. I wish I could get the mileage that others get.
You have either got a faulty indicator light or IMHO you need some serious engine or fuel system work. That would be around 20 mpg.... YIKES !!

Or Maybe - what do your plugs look like ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you. My gas light came on at 130 miles. I can now do a quick guess when it pops on out on the road. This will really help me. Many Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I usual refuel every 100 miles(when I could ride that far) just to be safe. I have gone 160 with the light already being on for awhile. If stations are far apart stick with the 1oo mile rule to be safe.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
I have been on roads where stations are far and few between last time I ran out of reserve going down the mountain and coasted 5 miles to the bottom and the bike restarted got to the station and I had less than 1/10 gallon in the tank, then on the next leg of the trip heavy head wind I got to 100 miles on the trip and had to go to reserve used the gps for nearest gas and had 20 more miles had 3/10 gallon left.

So take into account conditions and get gas when possible even if it is only 2 gallons it may save a long wait or walk.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I have a 2005 S model and my light usually comes on around 160 miles I generally fill it between 120 and 140 to be safe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
200+

My light comes on in the range of 154 to 173 miles. I have ridden to 186 miles and added 5.27 gallons. Next challenge is to get to 200 miles. I run an 1800N with the Cobra Fi2000. Settings are 4.5, 4.0 and 1.0. Tire pressure 40-42 psi. Next time I have a clear day with a tailwind or no wind and the light comes on at 170 or above I'll go for it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
2008 VTX1800T and I pushed the light really far until this morning.

Yesterday, the light came on during my commute to work (at about 165 miles on the tripometer), I finished the ride to work and decided to try to make it home. I went to 207 miles and put 5.24 gallons in it. I've never gone that far. It'll make ya worry!!

I usually ride until the light comes on and then fill up. I average low 40s mpg.

·
Registered
780 Posts
In the Arizona desert you should have all ready filled up. It will be 115 in Phoenix tomorrow. No place to even think about running out. Buy a rated gas can of 1 1/4 gallon and put 1 gallon of gas in it. Strap it on somewhere.

On my 18/07R I would figure 30 miles on the light. I can get 40 mpg at 65 - 75 mph. Be sure to have some no salt bottle water handy as well.You may consider one of the soak wet vests. These are messy but they do work.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Purchased a 2003 1800s last year which only has a total of 3.25 + 1.00 = 4.25 gallons. Just to play it safe I wanted to really know how much reserve there is so bought a one gallon gas can and put it in my saddle bag and ran the tank dry after the reserve light came on. Indeed, filled the tank with 4.25 gallons after, while normally when I fill up just before/after the reserve light I get around 3.25. Wish I had the 5.25 gallon tank, but for the rest I am awfully happy with my VTX.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts