Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm a newbie (not to 'cycling, but to this forum). I just submitted my finance application for a too-cheap NOS VTX1300R, and I'm wondering now just how much trouble the notorious steering head bearing is going to be.
Is it going to be one of those "getting-to-know-your-bike", periodic exercises, or is going to be a "I-wish-I'd-gotten-that-fixed-at-the-outset" bitches?
If the latter -- well, I may as well just get it fixed at the outset, I think. Don't you?

·
Registered
715 Posts
how many miles on the bike?
You'll know right away if you nee to do it...
the bike will shimmy when your decreasing speed from about 45 to 30.
a lot of folks can usually get between 6K to 10K out of the stock ones. I did mine around 8K and it did make a difference.
How hard will you ride it? are you going to be hitting the twisties often then for the $35 and a few hours work it may be worth it? plus you can service the forks while your at it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how many miles on the bike?...
Zero! My choice, 2007 or 2009, still "in the crate", as they say.
Do it now, knowing I'm going to do it later -- or wait till actual necessity?

Once you change to good bearings you shouldnt have any issue for a long time to come.
That sounds like, "Do it now!".

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'm not sure. I'd like to hear how many x riders with stock tire sizes get the death wobble as i call it. I had it once on a cb450, but new rubber was the only fix i needed. Its true the ball bearings are not as good as the all balls but Honda is pretty big on safety, and they think the ball bearings are safe on the 1300S. It all comes down to personal choice i guess.

·
Cafe Vendor
3,785 Posts
Depending on your weight, your riding style and a few other factors, that will determine if/when you would need to change the bearings. some people feel the symptoms by 6000 miles some have gone 20,000. Many have never messed with them.

Keep your tires inflated to 40psi and ride and enjoy the bike. The bearing wobble comes on slowly and you will have plenty of warning/time to plan the change to the heavy duty roller bearings if/when the time comes.

If you have the money and time, you can change them anytime and you will never have to worry or mess with them again, but IMHO that alone is not a reason to change them. Personally I would wait until they become an issue if ever.

Like I said earlier, lots of factors affect the life of the OEM bearings, and your specific factors may not cause them to become an issue for a long time if ever.

Good luck and I know you will enjoy your new VTX, they are sound machines :cheers:

Jeff

·
Chrome Ho
2,037 Posts
Zero! My choice, 2007 or 2009, still "in the crate", as they say.
Do it now, knowing I'm going to do it later -- or wait till actual necessity?

That sounds like, "Do it now!".

Hell if its brand new you shouldnt have any issue that fast. Takes a lil wear and tear to loosen them up and see how its gonna play. Ride that puppy!

I have a new one too sittin here with a whopping 73 miles on it so far I bought several weeks back down at southern honda. It rides like a champ.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...Keep your tires inflated to 40psi and ride and enjoy the bike. The bearing wobble comes on slowly and you will have plenty of warning/time to plan the change to the heavy duty roller bearings if/when the time comes.

If you have the money and time, you can change them anytime and you will never have to worry or mess with them again, but IMHO that alone is not a reason to change them. Personally I would wait until they become an issue if ever....
Well, now, that's certainly the kind of advice I hoped to hear -- and, frankly, am inclined to take, if practicable. I'm a pretty 'gentle' rider -- not a lot of hyper-acceleration, or high-speed curves and turns. If I wanted a sport bike, well, I'd have a sport bike, wouldn't I?
On the other hand, what lots of folks call 'hills' and 'twisties' are, in Middle Tennessee, called 'roads'. Not a lot of long, smooth, straightaways here.
So, this IS something the average, decent 'wrench' CAN do, whenever necessary?..

·
Cafe Vendor
3,785 Posts
Well, now, that's certainly the kind of advice I hoped to hear -- and, frankly, am inclined to take, if practicable. I'm a pretty 'gentle' rider -- not a lot of hyper-acceleration, or high-speed curves and turns. If I wanted a sport bike, well, I'd have a sport bike, wouldn't I?
On the other hand, what lots of folks call 'hills' and 'twisties' are, in Middle Tennessee, called 'roads'. Not a lot of long, smooth, straightaways here.
So, this IS something the average, decent 'wrench' CAN do, whenever necessary?..

First I am jealous of "YOUR" Roads :D

Yes this is something the average wrench can do. Plenty of write ups on the how to do it here. We shot a video of the process and JGoheen posted it on his website for reference for our brothers and sisters to see before tackling it. I personally have done 5 now, it really isn't that difficult

Here is a link to the video
http://www.goheengarage.com/tutorials.html

If/When the time comes just do a search here and post any questions, the Cafe will support ya :cheers:

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
There's plenty of people here to help if/when you decide to do it. I've wanted to do it but am not very mechanically inclined and haven't felt it a necessity so I haven't done it yet. I do ride fairly aggressively and am almost at 25k without the change. Ride it till you need it done and welcome to the cafe.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, then, thanks everybody...that's one less hesitation to take a deal that's almost in the "too-good-to-be-true" department. Hopefully, there's a VTX1300 in my near future...

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Well, then, thanks everybody...that's one less hesitation to take a deal that's almost in the "too-good-to-be-true" department. Hopefully, there's a VTX1300 in my near future...
When you are ready to do it we can lead you threw doing it. Just make sure you get the All-Balls on hand first. Don't put stock bearings back in there.
You could ride up to the Indiana tech session in the spring and do it there. It's only 903mi one way.lol
Donut/Doug:patriot:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Oldhack62 I understand what you are going through I road to Idaho last year and at the end I have on hell of a wobble.I know my tires need replacement but I think this is more then just tires.Being that I cannot even change a light blub, as I right this my bike is in the shop having Tires ,darkside on back,put on, neck bearings replaced forks serviced, spare elec. hookups put on. While the front fender is off it is going to be airbrushed like my tank. I would ride the hell out of it until it wobbles.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
First I am jealous of "YOUR" Roads :D

Yes this is something the average wrench can do. Plenty of write ups on the how to do it here. We shot a video of the process and JGoheen posted it on his website for reference for our brothers and sisters to see before tackling it. I personally have done 5 now, it really isn't that difficult

Here is a link to the video
http://www.goheengarage.com/tutorials.html

If/When the time comes just do a search here and post any questions, the Cafe will support ya :cheers:
you beat me to the punch. this is not really too hard to do with the right tools. i quick afternoon and you will be golden!:choppersm

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
O Yeah! He's probably got better roads where he is than we have in southern Oh. But we do have some da$5 good ones down here. Hamph

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok its settled then. An overnight tech meet and greet at oldhacks place sometime in 2011.:mosh: Hamph
Well, I'm not against it -- presuming I DO have the bike!
And, it looks like that's a go -- the dealer got me approved for almost double what I need to spend (ya think he might be hoping I add some baubles?;)). But, I picked out a color (black, just because that's what he had still in the crate, other than titanium, which was my least favorite option. The blue -- my favorite -- was already draped in more tinsel than suits my tastes or budget) today with the sales rep. I'll get him my 'keep-it-for-me' deposit in the next couple of days, and drive the 150 or so miles necessary to seal the deal by the end of the year. When I actually ride it home will depend on the weather (I'm okay with temps in the 40s, but I'm going to insist on dry pavement and as little wind as possible).
I'll let y'all know when it gets home.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Good luck Old Hack, it's either a nice Christmas present to yourself or a helluva good way to start off 2011 :cheers: if you get it, im sure you will love it. :D Bry

1 - 20 of 30 Posts