Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to be taking a trip down to clearwater from western ny next month. Furthest Ill ever have ridden! I did up to virginia before. Im going to be ordering a new tire (same metz me888 that's on there now just cause I dont want to mix) for the rear. I was satisfied with it. It has 11k on it now. I do mostly straight riding around here. Not too many turns and I dont ride in the rain. Im thinking I should be able to get a little more life on it going by the condition it's in (flattened a little in the middle , but not too bad). But, I dont want to push it either. I would rather spend a couple hundred and have piece of mind on the trip. I'll probably just put the new one on last minute next month. Any thoughts? I know a lot of guys have these tires. Is this generally the amount of miles you get. It is not to the wear indicators . But, I used a gauge and it shows just in the red in the middle of the tire. I dont undestand why they put the wear indicators closer to the sidewalls than the middle. Oh, I don't know if it matters. But, I have an s model , but changed out the rims with "R" model rims. I think there was a choice for bias or non bias. I also have my ride on ready :)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I’d replace it for piece of mind, if you’re questioning it you’ll have an issue and end up kicking yourself in the butt if you don’t. Put a radial on the R rim

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If I go to J&P cycles and put my bike in the list (as a "R" model, not "s"), it only shows a bias tire. Its a 170/80B15 77H. Is there even an option for radials. I called them. They said that's what the bike calls for and the retro even came with the bias tire on it and there is no radial

·
Registered
17,401 Posts
If I go to J&P cycles and put my bike in the list (as a "R" model, not "s"), it only shows a bias tire. Its a 170/80B15 77H. Is there even an option for radials. I called them. They said that's what the bike calls for and the retro even came with the bias tire on it and there is no radial
Some idiots just cannot help themselves and will use nothing but what something in print TELLS them! I run a bias FRONT tire, but a radial rear, darkside to boot. REPLACE that tire, you're just asking for trouble later.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I said I'm going to be ordering a new one in the beginning of my post. I was mostly looking for input on the 11k out of it.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I may be mistaken on the radial fitting that rim, I changed my bike over to C rims and was able to get radials for those but they are different sizes. It’s a shame because the radials on the VTX makes it ride so much better!!! Check Metzler Marathon 888 sizes they are the longer lasting tire and they have sizes for the S and R

·
Registered
17,401 Posts
I said I'm going to be ordering a new one in the beginning of my post. I was mostly looking for input on the 11k out of it.
Don't be touchy, I wasn't refering to you as the idiot, but those who print stuff that they expect others to believe as the Gospel and everyone else is supposed to follow just because they said so. Kinda like Fauci.

Reactions: Tom P.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't be touchy, I wasn't refering to you as the idiot, but those who print stuff that they expect others to believe as the Gospel and everyone else is supposed to follow just because they said so. Kinda like Fauci.
understood. I agree about that lunatic. It's just from everything I read on bias vs radials and pros and cons, I would prefer a radial. I know the bias are made more for cruisers and heavier bikes cause of their thick sidewall construction and heavier weight limits. But, i don't care about that stuff since I only weigh 170, never carry loads, or passngers,etc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts