Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

how much oil does it take???

10K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Charlie D 
#1 ·
I am changing my oil in the bike for the first time and someone told me that they take 3.9 qts so i bought 4 I have put 3 in started it up and let it idle for a min and checked it and it seems to be way overful whats the deal am i doing something wrong?

#3 ·
Yeah, operator error. The bike holds 3.9 quarts and most guys just put the whole 4 quarts in. Are you sure that all of the old oil drained out. There are two drain plugs on the X. Did you change your filter. You also have to give it time to drain back down after starting.

You are checking the bike sitting level and not running correct.

also you could have bought a 5 quart jug on accident and didn't pay a lot of attention to it. I did that once in my car. lol

FYI, I usually only remove one drain bolt as the other one never seems to hold any extra oil in.

#9 ·
I would recommend draining it for peace of mind and the seals...bikes have been known to ride with significant more oil than required with no problems, but also have read bikes have had seal problems as well.

There are lots of "how to"...here and else where. I would recommend doing a quick check before doing any maintenance:

For one:

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/engine/changing-engine-oil-vtx/

Lastly...you can reuse the oil drained if you want. Just make sure you get it all out...stand the bike upright and shake...lots of oil hides in the crevises, especially in the front/clutch bolt (if you saw the inside, you would know what I mean). Oh...and becareful on retightening the front bolt...been known to be overtightened and breaking...bad juju...

Good luck
Bull

#16 ·
Search is at the top of the page Home then Search right next to your name info.

The search can be tough and time consuming as it will put every post up with the words you search for.

This is why most of us don't mind when someone just posts up and asks the question.

You can download a service manual from this site if you like.

http://www.forum.mdxiles.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=478

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.